8x6.5 to 8x170 wheel adapters... pros & cons?

02AutoWag

Reaction score
Any glaring reason to avoid this idea for my 2wd F350 SRW? Very little if any off road adventures - dirt/gravel roads or groomed fields would be the extent. Very little if any towing. 3000lbs in the bed on occasion.

I know there are proper fitting 8x6.5 wheels out there, but I want access to the used 8x170 wheel/tire market.

I know the adapters cost money, but they would/could be offset by the savings of going to a used wheel/tire combo.

Please discuss...

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some high-end, 1000+hp diesel truck pullers are using spacers or adapters to run different wheel setups, especially to get duals on single rear truck. Just some food for thought.

From personal experience, I ran a set of 1.5" spacers on a 98 Chevy 1/2 ton, with the super weak 10 bolt, to get the rear tires even with the front. I towed my fourwheelers all the time on the trailer, probably 2500 lbs, towed my sisters Dakota on a car trailer, approx 6500lbs. Never had a problem while I owned it, and the new owner uses it to haul construction materials for his remodeling business, and no problems yet either. Probably 80k miles so far with them installed.

If the adapters are quality, squared and true components, the added stress on bearings so on will be minimal. There will be added leverage, but as long as they are straight and true, the wear won't be too bad.

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may notice some added wear to the ball joints but other than that you should have no problems. I have a buddy running 2" spacers with 46x19.5 tires and no problems.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Any glaring reason to avoid this idea for my 2wd F350 SRW? Very little if any off road adventures - dirt/gravel roads or groomed fields would be the extent. Very little if any towing. 3000lbs in the bed on occasion.

I know there are proper fitting 8x6.5 wheels out there, but I want access to the used 8x170 wheel/tire market.

I know the adapters cost money, but they would/could be offset by the savings of going to a used wheel/tire combo.

Please discuss...

I dont know of any wheel that is available in a 170mm pattern that is not available in a 8 on 6.5 pattern. You have to remember chevy and dodge still use the 8 on 6.5 pattern.

As for spacers i would not use any but these http://www.wheeladapter.com/

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont know of any wheel that is available in a 170mm pattern that is not available in a 8 on 6.5 pattern.

Super Duty stock wheels are the only ones I can see requiring it. Any model aftermarket wheel should be available in both like you had mentioned.

But if he's looking for used wheels, he might find great deals on certain styles over others that Super Duty owners use.

02AutoWag

Reaction score
Thank you guys for the insight.

I did just purchase a set of 8x6.5 to match my current ones. I how have spares!