'89 F350 - ABS junk system and safety inspections

WMO4IDI

Reaction score
I finally received my fresh & Ford certified Vin Label sticker from Marti Auto Works (4 months wait time...) and discovered that someone at the DMV along with a previous owner falsified the GVWR numbers on my truck's registration.

Registered as 4499KG (9919lbs) which meant it didn't require an annual safety inspection, the vin label states 4989kg (11 000lbs) so now I need a safety inspection. I ordered the new label following a traffic stop by a controller who knew something wasn't right with the registrations, since the original vin label was unreadable, he let me drive it home to park it until it could be resolved.

Well, the ABS has never worked since I bought it last year and that's how I like it... Unfortunately it's a required inspection point so I have 3 options:

- rebuild the system myself
- buy a pump & controle module for over 800$ CAD
- buy a 20$ Hella timer relay that will make all the correct instrument cluster lights turn on like normal for a few second when power goes to ''run'' in the ignition switch. My preferred option.

First question, can someone tell me the self check sequence when we turn on our bricknose Fords? What lights turn on and for how long exactly? (I figure brakes, abs, CEL and battery for 3 to 4 seconds)

Secondly, in the event that the mechanic doing the safety inspection is gastricly retentive and actually tests the sytem on the road, had anyone ever rebuilt the hydraulic unit and controller? I know the controller just needs a chip replaced on the pcb if it's burnt out (have to test the existing one) and I found what I beleive is the correct part number for said chip on digikey. As for the hydraulic unit, are we just talking about a good degunking and a few o-ring seals to replace?

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I'm not going to help circumvent the law, even over a simple system.

Have you trier getting flash codes for the abs yet? Every one of these older trucks the abs hasn't worked usually because of a corroded ground in the engine bay. I suggest gerting any codes first.

WMO4IDI

Reaction score
I hear ya but I'll take a proportioning valve over an unreliable electronic system anyday, it's not like cars were crashing and burning everywhere befors ABS was invented.

Doing a propper diagnostic is on my to-do list for the weekend.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Falsified gvwr? Thats weird.

We always have the choice to license gvw below the mfr gvwr, so long as it's no less than 1.5x the curb weight.

ABS is a weird one to get caught on... How are they testing it for function? Isn't it one of those passive items that is assumed to be working so long as theres no fault codes/lights?

WMO4IDI

Reaction score
Falsified gvwr? Thats weird.

We always have the choice to license gvw below the mfr gvwr, so long as it's no less than 1.5x the curb weight.

ABS is a weird one to get caught on... How are they testing it for function? Isn't it one of those passive items that is assumed to be working so long as theres no fault codes/lights?

Regarding the GVWR, they changed the laws a few years ago in Quebec and I'm in a grey zone, controllers on the road apply the definitions one way and the lady at the DMV interprets it differently... typical of this communist hell hole. I just don't want to start getting harassed by the controllers for administrative technicalities tbh so I'll be going for a safety, I'll have the sticker.

There are two types of inspections, one is by observation and the other includes a road test but the 2nd one is usually reserved for rebuilt vehicles... but the mechanic can decide by himself that he has doubts about a certain system and go do a road test.

I'm out in the country so I don't expect the guy to be aggressive with the inspection, pretty sure he'll only look at the self check sequence in the cluster. Hence why I want to confirm the self check sequence & ''light on'' time for my 20$ timer relay solution.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance