89 e350 e4od help please

idi_man

rookie
Reaction score
Been a while but I finally have another 7.3 idi after 4 years of driving Nissan pickups. She's an 89 E350 with an E4OD trans 2wd. I've searched and haven't found any similar issues. My overdrive light sometimes is not on and I only have gear 2 and D. When it comes on usually after warm up, shut off and then started again, the light blinks and my trans works normally. I tried to pull codes with an obd1 scanner with no luck. Please, any help is appreciated I want to drive my baby
You must be registered for see images attach
!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Obd scanner won't help.
Search the site for how to pull transmission codes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really guys no one wants to help?
Have patient my friend.
Your Tach and Speedometer has to be working without fault for one thing.

There is also a transmitter where the speedo cable connects to the trans, check that connector.

http://www.troublecodes.net/ford/

idi_man

rookie
Reaction score
Speedo is cable drive works excellent actually spot on within 1 mph. No tac in this old gal

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Speedo is cable drive works excellent actually spot on within 1 mph. No tac in this old gal

However, since it has an E4OD, there is a tach sensor on the IP Gear tower and there will be a VSS that plugged into the cable drive from the transmission, and then the speedometer cable will plug into the VSS and go to the cluster. The TECA (Transmission Electronic Control Assembly) requires an electronic tach signal and an electronic speed signal. It also requires 12v and a good clean signal path between the TECA and the solenoid pack in the transmission. If any of these are missing, the transmission will go into limp mode, the O/D Off light will usually flash (unless +12v is missing, then it will be dimly lit) and will shift harshly (like hurt your neck harsh) if it shifts at all.

idi_man

rookie
Reaction score
However, since it has an E4OD, there is a tach sensor on the IP Gear tower and there will be a VSS that plugged into the cable drive from the transmission, and then the speedometer cable will plug into the VSS and go to the cluster. The TECA (Transmission Electronic Control Assembly) requires an electronic tach signal and an electronic speed signal. It also requires 12v and a good clean signal path between the TECA and the solenoid pack in the transmission. If any of these are missing, the transmission will go into limp mode, the O/D Off light will usually flash (unless +12v is missing, then it will be dimly lit) and will shift harshly (like hurt your neck harsh) if it shifts at all.

So, start by cleaning all connectors. I'll have to get back to this thread I will certainly get back to you guys. The random limp mode (till any amount of warmed up) has me thinking it's electrical. I have to take a good day on it then it's on to the fuel system to get er some new return lines. Limp mode only comes when the od light quits blinking.

idi_man

rookie
Reaction score
Also the trans was rebuilt in 05 and it looks like every damn connector for the engine harness has an extra length pigtail on it so I'll need a diagram to see if one of the wires was installed wrong.

gandalf

Reaction score
As stated above, the TECA feeds information to the E4OD. That means that all connections must be clean. Check the connections on the passenger side of the transmission, up high behind a heat shield. The TECA receives signal from the VSS, the tach sensor, and the TPS/FIPL. You've said that your speedo is good, so that would, initially, rule out the VSS. You have no tach, but the TECA must still receive a tach signal. Without a tach to verify the signal, that might be a guessing game. The TPS/FIPL is always a likely suspect. It's mounted on the driver's side of the IP. Be sure it's within specs, though even that isn't a sure thing.

I recently had my truck going into limp mode. I could tell both the VSS and the tach sensor were good just by looking at the tack and the speedo. I checked the TPS/FIPL and it was within specs. Sometimes I could start from home and all was well. Half a mile down the road, while in motion, the blinker would come on and it would default into limp mode. I finally changed out what appeared to be a good TPS/FIPL, and the problem went away.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When your OD light remains on (you'll notice it's dimmer than when you normally cancel od by pressing the button) and you only have high gear starts in D - 2nd gear in either manual 1 or 2 positions and R.Then all these things combined means you lost power to the transmission.

Since it's intermittent in your case,my guess is,you'll find corrosion on your trans relay pins.could just be a bad relay on it's way out too.

full

Really guys no one wants to help?

Really guy,some of us work long shifts.:D I got my wood chipper fixed today and I was so happy that I couldn't stop feeding it! :D
That's a cool looking classic van!

Last edited:

idi_man

rookie
Reaction score
When your OD light remains on (you'll notice it's dimmer than when you normally cancel od by pressing the button) and you only have high gear starts in D - 2nd gear in either manual 1 or 2 positions and R.Then all these things combined means you lost power to the transmission.

Since it's intermittent in your case,my guess is,you'll find corrosion on your trans relay pins.could just be a bad relay on it's way out too.

full

Really guy,some of us work long shifts.:D I got my wood chipper fixed today and I was so happy that I couldn't stop feeding it! :D
That's a cool looking classic van!
Thank You! I have a bed/seat I am installing for the kiddos. I work ridiculous hours also, just got a little impatient I think I'm going to start at the relay I took it apart and it was greased and clean, with no corrosion inside. That doesn't mean a damn thing with electricity though...

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
One thing to remember on all pre 92 trucks. The VSS could be bad and the speedometer will work fine. The speedometer cable passes through the vss.