89 7.3 idi non turbo won’t start with ether

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I don't think it's the IP because the one on there only has about 2.5 hours on it but am very curious about the cold water.

As you'll find here on the forums, new doesn't mean good.
None of the parts store rebuilders replace the rotor. Which is the heart of hot start problems.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And I would argue that ether alone will run an idi. Actually I've seen it not work at all and the only issue be the Schrader vale at the filter housing allowing too much air intrusion. Maybe if one could meter enough in on regular basis, but 7 liters is a lot of air to ignite with one little spritz of ether, much less 7 liters per rev.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Sometimes it will, sometimes it won't.
I've ran my PSD on ether. One of those "fork it" moments. Lol

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh I agree on a truck with a fuel system in place, but Franklin2 mentioned without an IP on the truck, that was what I was thinking.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh I agree on a truck with a fuel system in place, but Franklin2 mentioned without an IP on the truck, that was what I was thinking.
You haven't used ether very much? The only time I have ever seen a diesel engine not try to run on ether is when it had a mechanical problem and the compression was too low for it to fire.

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually I have experience with burning holes in pistons using ether in a worst case scenario situation (must get started). As well as the proper use of ether. Carry a can in the truck.

There was a situation a few years ago that I was trying to help a boy get his 7.3 running, it would not fire off with any amount of ether and all it was lacking was a good sealing Schrader valve.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not all "ether" is the same, either. The "premium" stuff is more volatile than the "cheap" stuff.

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An entire can of any "starting fluid" should theoretically fire a truck regardless of actual ether concentration, considering even some of the propellants are combustible. Seen it not work first hand though. Using high quality stuff as well. Certain lawn equipment designated fluid usually has the best ether ppm concentration. Logically to me the cause would be that per revolution the mixture was not potent enough without some diesel mixed in to carry out a full start.

Point bieng, ether of any quality or volume will not guarantee a start if your fuel system is in a very bad way

Chemgrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
79Jasper my pump isn't from one of the parts stores. I bought it from builder that has gotten a lot of high praise on here and other sites as well. I don't want to mention the name because as I said I don't think it has anything to do with the pump. The truck was firing up just fine and one of the return lines started ******* fuel like a race horse and so I shut it down after that and it sat for a couple of months before I got back around to it. I still haven't had a chance to replace the return lines nor did I spend a lot of time trying to diagnose the issue. Mainly I was interested in cold water test and that is why I posted something. Sorry for any confusion.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Well, thanks for clearing that up. Lol
So Sounds like you never got the air worked out.
Replace the return system, work the air out, and go from there.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
I have had many trucks through my shop that would not fire on ether at all. But the same can will light off my 86 no problem. Some engines are picky. The ones that don't like ether, normally will fire right up with a gas rag.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88