'88 Hypertech Turbodiesel questions

Steve

Reaction score
'88 Hypermax Turbodiesel questions

Okay, new here, and I've searched and can't find what I'm looking for. I have recently "repossesed" our son's truck and have a few questions:

- It's an 88 F250, with intercooler and turbo. The air cleaner and badging on the front fenders says it's a Hypermax intercooled turbo system. Am I correct in assuming this is an aftermarket system? Dealer option?

- What's something like this worth? I'm going to clean it up, install new glow plugs and some other routine maintenance and sell it. It's an XLT Lariat edition (VERY nice interior), 4x4, AT, AC, factory dual tanks, and completely loaded. Comes with a matching Leer shell. About 132k original miles.

- Did this truck come with a Catalytic convertor?

Thanks!

Last edited:

aaklingler

Reaction score
Where are you at? It's aftermarket. It's hard to say what its worth without more info. No cat.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Neat town. Only been through it on the train. Any chance that badging says "Hypermax" and not "Hypertech"? I'm assuming it is not a dually. If it is as you have described, and very clean, I don't think 8K would be unreasonable. Sorry to hear your going to sell it, but it sounds like somebody couldn't pay for it, so I understand. Be sure to read up on all the glow plug precautions before you start messing with them. Check out Zigg's pages Here.

Steve

Reaction score
Yeah, we love living here. I checked, it does say Hypermax. No, it's not a dually. I already have a tow rig for my 4x4 toy which is why I'm selling it. $8k huh? I was thinking around $5k. :rolleyes: I guess in the end it's worth whatever someone's willing to pay.

Thanks for the glow plug link! :hail

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well that is why I said 8K. The Hypermax intercooler is a $2K item alone.

Steve

Reaction score
fivefish said:
Can you post pics instead of emailing?
Here are a few I took right after we got it back, and before it was cleaned up.

Attachments

• Engine.JPG
    Engine.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 28
  • Ford left side.JPG
    Ford left side.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Ford right side.JPG
    Ford right side.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Interior.JPG
    Interior.JPG