88 7.3 donar truck for 92 has no PCM ZF5 swap

Jbone36

Reaction score
Hey all still at it, this is post number 1 of a couple of questions I have.
I have the donar truck "88 superduty with 7.3 IDI which has no PCM. Swapping the 88 engine and trans "Zf5 into 93 superduty automatic E40D the plugs fom engine look like they are going to work but im worried about the computer problem and what wont work. Check out pics...heres the 92...
You must be registered for see images attach

Jbone36

Reaction score
Heres the 88

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
As discussed in the other posts, the only thing that "computer" controls is the E4OD transmission. That is a TCM not a PCM.

EVERYTHING in the truck will work fine. Use the engine bay wiring harness that in the "recipient" truck on the engine. Those big bulkhead plugs that you have in very first picture and the very last picture is the ENTIRE wiring harness connection. Everything in the truck goes through that plug, that is not to a computer. The only computer is what you have unplugged in the 1st picture, on the very right, and again that is only for the transmission. I would plug the TCM back in, and leave it be... swap the engine in and use the wiring that is already in the truck. I would also grab the little wiring harness that connect to the ZF-5 in the other truck and swap that section from the donor to the truck the E4OD is in now.

Jbone36

Reaction score
As discussed in the other posts, the only thing that "computer" controls is the E4OD transmission. That is a TCM not a PCM.

EVERYTHING in the truck will work fine. Use the engine bay wiring harness that in the "recipient" truck on the engine. Those big bulkhead plugs that you have in very first picture and the very last picture is the ENTIRE wiring harness connection. Everything in the truck goes through that plug, that is not to a computer. The only computer is what you have unplugged in the 1st picture, on the very right, and again that is only for the transmission. I would plug the TCM back in, and leave it be... swap the engine in and use the wiring that is already in the truck. I would also grab the little wiring harness that connect to the ZF-5 in the other truck and swap that section from the donor to the truck the E4OD is in now.
Ok cool thanks.. was just paranoid when I saw the 88 didn't have it..
So plugging that in and hooking up starter it should run with just that?..seems a little minimal..but sounds good to me.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See if the zf5 harness from the old truck will plug into the newer truck below the brake booster. The zf harness has the jumper in it for the neutral safety switch. If you don't or can't do this, you are going to need to hunt down the neutral safety circuit that went to the E4OD and jump it out, since you do not have a neutral safety anymore with the automatic gone. It won't crank over till you get this figured out. I don't know about 1993, but on the earlier truck the two wires are red with a blue stripe. On the older trucks you just jump these together to let the start signal continue to the starter solenoid.

Jbone36

Reaction score
See if the zf5 harness from the old truck will plug into the newer truck below the brake booster. The zf harness has the jumper in it for the neutral safety switch. If you don't or can't do this, you are going to need to hunt down the neutral safety circuit that went to the E4OD and jump it out, since you do not have a neutral safety anymore with the automatic gone. It won't crank over till you get this figured out. I don't know about 1993, but on the earlier truck the two wires are red with a blue stripe. On the older trucks you just jump these together to let the start signal continue to the starter solenoid.
Sweet thanks in the process now of swapping over engine and trans ..aftet that i was going to probably burn up the batteries trying to crank it over without this info