87 ford f250 transfer case

John Preston

Reaction score
It seems to be stuck in 4 low. It shifts fine and took linkage off and shift underneath but it stays in slow speed. I assume I'll have to take transfer case off and take apart since something must have come apart inside?

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Sounds like you can shift the transfer case, but it does not come out of 4wd low. Have you tried both 4wd high and 2wd high positions? Have you tried with your hubs locked and unlocked? Sometimes a transfer case can hang up a short drive will fix. Which can be challenging in 4wd low on pavement so be careful.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
I would try on dirt or grass but with the hubs locked. No expert on Ford transfer cases but similar to the Jeep’s. The shifter is moving one or more rings causing multiple gears to lock up to each other. So when you free wheel (Hubs unlocked) the other half of the system will just go along for the ride. When they both have resistance they have a bit of a tug of war and may separate or push the locking ring or other device out of the way. If your selector has resistance and seems to click between 4l, 4h, and 2wd then likely it’s just stuck in between and locking the hubs can help undo it.

You could have a damage fork or gear, in that case off it comes for repair.

Some other members will weigh in shortly.