'85 F250, F350 same frame?

Kistthesky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just picked up an '85 F350 IDI and am wanting to know if I can swap the Dana 70 dually rearend into my '85 F250 IDI, they appear to be the same thickness frame wise, just wondering if I would be making a huge mistake or not.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do they both have pickup beds on them? In other words, is the f350 dually a cab and chassis truck or a pickup? If it's not a pickup, you have a problem.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
C&C , dually and pickup are all 3 different width frames.

The c&c trucks are a standard 34(?) or so inches wide behind the cab as an industry standard.

Fords regular pickup duallys are also narrower than the SRW frames. Right behinds the cab they have a "dog leg" in the frame where they narrow it in for clearance of the inside tires

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The c&c trucks are a standard 34(?) or so inches wide behind the cab as an industry standard.

Fords regular pickup duallys are also narrower than the SRW frames. Right behinds the cab they have a "dog leg" in the frame where they narrow it in for clearance of the inside tires

Are you positive about that for all years? I thought that was why the pickup dually rearends are wider, so the backwards inside rims will clear the normal pickup frame. Besides the wider fenders on the bed, I thought all pickup frames were the same. People convert a regular SRW pickup to dually don't they?

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score

My '92 CC dually's frame is 37" measured from the outside of the frame and has no "dog leg". It doesn't need one because the tires are no where close to the frame. Mine inside tires are 8" from the frame.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here's the final word from a truck builder.
SRW and DRW pickup frames have the same width. the DRW pickup axle stick out the furthest of all three axles.
DRW C&C has a narrower frame than pickup frame. the axles do not interchange except with extreme modification work.
pickup and C&C springs are completely different animals too. pickup springs and longer and wider.
as a result, mounting a pickup bed onto a C&C truck will result in the axle placed improperly in the wheel well or a large gap beterrn the bed and the cab. the axle length on most pickup suited C&C trucks are a minimum of 60" whereas a pickup framed truck is 54". this measurement is taken from the axle centerline to the back of the cab. it only gets longer from there. 84" or 120" are the two factory optional choices sold. of course, the sky is the limit for a guy with a gas torch.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I need to measure my wheel base.
Seems equal to a normal pickup.
But it's for sure a C&C.
Also C&C puts outer rear tire almost in line with the front tire.
I have a flatbed on mine.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
also don't use a d70... find a dually sterling rear. just for the fact of outboard drums.....

Kistthesky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The donor truck is a C&C so there goes my plan I guess, thanks for all the info!

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also don't use a d70... find a dually sterling rear. just for the fact of outboard drums.....

Going to disagree with this - Given a choice, I would pick the Sterling for the rims, but that doesn't mean a D70 is a bad choice. How often do you have to pull the drums off? I've had to pull one side on my rig in the past 50k+ miles (stuck parking brake lever) so it's not that big of a deal to me. Pulling the hub is a pain in the rear, yes, but then you also get to check the bearings and seals while you're in there. Point is, if you have a D70 there's no reason not to use it. Not sure about the dually axle, but some of the SRW D70 axles also have a real nice rounded pumpkin that would likely be less likely to get hung up on rocks if you do any serious off roading.

Only real absolute deciding factor I know of is if you have a 10.25 truck that uses the rear speed sensor.... then you're stuck with a 10.25.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Given a choice, I would pick the Sterling for the rims

Please expand on this, I am confused. The D70 and the Sterling both came in 8 on 6.5" bolt pattern in our vintage truck. I am guessing that you are linking a Sterling rear to the Superduty era with the metric pattern?

4x4manonbroke

Diesel Master
Reaction score
Please expand on this, I am confused. The D70 and the Sterling both came in 8 on 6.5" bolt pattern in our vintage truck. I am guessing that you are linking a Sterling rear to the Superduty era with the metric pattern?

Bigger wheel bearings, more load capacity, will take more power as well ( has a nose bearing on the pinion like a corperate diff ) ... just to name a few good reasons of sterling VS DANA 70's

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin