'84 Original Hub Caps

RedTruck

Reaction score
Does anyone have a picture of what the original hub caps would look like on an '84 F250 or F350 4 wheel drive? Is there a difference between the extended cab and regular cab versions? I looked through LMC. It lists front hub caps for an '85-'92 F250 but not '84. Also they don't show a picture. I know they'll fit, but I'm wondering if that's original to an '84.

Thanks for any help,

Paul

Diesel Fly

Body By Rustoleum
Reaction score
I'm not exactly sure what year this is but they should look something like this

Attachments

• PICT0004.JPG
    PICT0004.JPG
    405.6 KB · Views: 31

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the factory rear hubcap on my '84 4x4...I've since replaced them with the "ashtray" style caps like you typically see on '86-'93 or so trucks (as seen on the second picture)...

Attachments

• right rear wheel.jpg
    right rear wheel.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Truck at Hollister 03.jpg
    Truck at Hollister 03.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 12

RedTruck

Reaction score
Reese,

According to what I saw in LMC those are hub caps from an '85. BTW that's a sharp looking rig. Is that yours?

Tim,

Yep yep. That's the rear from an '84 but what the heck does the front look like? I'm leaning towards the idea that an '84 4x4 F250 came with rears, but not fronts. Also, can you provide more information on the circled item in the following picture?

Thanks fellas!

Attachments

• Warden Truck Step.JPG
    Warden Truck Step.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 27

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep yep. That's the rear from an '84 but what the heck does the front look like? I'm leaning towards the idea that an '84 4x4 F250 came with rears, but not fronts.
There ARE front hubcaps for a 4x4 with that design. I don't have a close-up of mine, unfortunately, and the original hubcaps are about 400 miles away at the moment. I took an early "overall" picture of my truck, and blew up the front wheel, so you can kinda get an idea of what it looked like. It essentially looks like the rear hubcap, except with a hole cut in the front for the hub to stick out...and, the area right around the hole is dished in somewhat. The black outline like you see in the rear hubcap has largely been worn off on the front, in this picture. Actually, the rear cap in the picture was the only one that was in decent shape; the others were all pretty badly beaten-up...that's a big part of why I replaced them, and I ran without hubcaps for a number of years after pulling those off and before getting the ashtray-style caps.

BTW, I have yet to see the front 4x4 hubcap in that style available at LMC, or new anywhere else for that matter. Maybe try eBay?

Also, can you provide more information on the circled item in the following picture?
It's a foothold...there's one on each side. The first owner (my uncle's step-father, who bought the truck new) put them on, because he was short enough that he couldn't reach the windshield to wash it without those in place :D I think they're available at truck parts stores (I've seen them set up like a ladder on the side of a sleeper on a couple of trucks), and I've also seen them at West Marine. He cut a wood block to the contour of the sheetmetal to serve as a spacer for the foothold. I attached a close-up picture of the foothold, if that helps any. I don't need it for the windshield, but it sure makes it easier to replace the center clearance light :D

Attachments

• Front hubcap.jpg
    Front hubcap.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Truck12-01b.jpg
    Truck12-01b.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 7

RedTruck

Reaction score
Tim,

Hmmm. I Haven't 100% decided whether I'm headed for the bone stock look yet or not. That front hub may just decide it for me. I'll have to check a few bone yards around here when I get a chance. Are you looking as well or satisfied with what you have?

That foot hold is a good idea. I was thinking more like....

Thanks,

Paul

Attachments

• Foot Hold Locations.JPG
    Foot Hold Locations.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 20

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
I'm not exactly sure what year this is but they should look something like this

You're truck is beautiful. I'm trying to convince Mel to restore his back to this.

Mostly because I want that half cab off the Moose Truck

Diesel Fly

Body By Rustoleum
Reaction score
BTW that's a sharp looking rig. Is that yours?

Unfortunately, no. That is a picture of "the one that got away". A friend of mine's dad was selling it and it was in better shape than the pictures you see! I called him back to tell him I'd buy it and he said "I just sold it 5 minutes ago". I was grumpy for about a month after that -cuss

I still have pictures of it to remind me and to use as a goal for my truck.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're truck is beautiful. I'm trying to convince Mel to restore his back to this.

Mostly because I want that half cab off the Moose Truck

LOL Here is a mostly stock Moose Truck.

You must be registered for see images

Looks silly. LOL

I'd check with Doug Bensen for all those back to stock quests. He did a frame off restore of his, and seemed to find all those parts new somewhere, including hubcaps I believe.

RedTruck

Reaction score
Darrin,

Thank you very much. I haven't completely decided on the look I'm going for, but I'll definately keep that in mind.

Again thanks,

Paul

RedTruck

Reaction score
Mel,

I already checked out your pics. Good view of the grill...just not what I was looking for. I thought if anyone had a pic of a stock '84 you would.

Thanks none the less,

Paul

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
From what I understand, the 'Dog Dish' hub caps were changed slightly in 85. The shape of the stamped lug looking design, and the contrasting black paint are just a bit different than earlier years.

The LMC paper catalog used to show the differences.

The blue '84 that Diesel Fly posted are OEM 84's.
The ones the Warden posted are the 85+

Lets not forget that the XLT's usually came with the hub caps that covered the whole wheel.

Diesel Fly

Body By Rustoleum
Reaction score
Here's two pictures of the front of a stock '84 (mine) and "the one that got away":D

Attachments

• IMG_0381.jpg
    IMG_0381.jpg
    916.6 KB · Views: 6
  • PICT0002.JPG
    PICT0002.JPG
    336.8 KB · Views: 5

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have some nice original hub caps but mine is an 86 2WD a lot different than those I'll get you a pic if you want.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online