84 E-250 Barn Find

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I have six kids and want to pull a camper. But the truth is I just didn't want it to go to the crusher. The guy I got it from scrapped 75 cars on his lot getting ready for Irma and put this on CL 5 days before just to see if he could sell it before the storm. I couldn't get down there until Sunday night and literally pulled it up I85 in 70 mph winds! :eek: His wife thought the trees were going to fall on us and one did fall across the road 1/4 mile from his lot.

This is exactly why I got mine. There are 5 of us and a dog which means that flying anywhere for vacation is very expensive. The van gives me lots of room and can be setup in multiple different ways depending on what I am using it for.

I also needed a tow rig for my current track car and hopefully a TT one day.

As far as price, my had 125k miles on it. Everything except the AC worked (new compressor was part of the deal) and it was 95% rust free. I paid $3000 for it in Indiana.

pastorjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What size camper do you want to pull and through what terrain?
Good questions. Probably a 25ft down to the beach here. The OBX beaches are about two hours away, so not talking cross country. What is the tow rating on an older E-250?

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It varies a little depending on your transmission and gearing. My owners manual says my '88 is somewhere around 7000 to 8000lbs.....if I remember correctly.

I have had about 6500 to 7000lbs behind mine without any issue. Of course I have a break controller and I dont have much elevation change arpund here. A TT is a little more difficult to pull, not because of the weight, but because of the larger frontal area.

I always recommend a large trans cooler and gauges when doing any towing.

pastorjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys after consultation with the misses I am putting this and my 89 F250 up on the auction block. I am going to the dark side. I am looking at an 06' F350 that I am going to do a IDI swap on. If anyone is interested I will link the CL ad.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Watch out for that. I don't know what the emissions laws are in North Carolina, but it will not pass inspection if you have one. Then you'll be stuck with an off road only truck. There is absolutely no way for an IDI to meet 06 emissions standards.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why buy an 06 F350 and put an outdated 20 year old motor in it? Me thinks emissions regulations might be a problem at some point either now or in the future if you do that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online