83 RWD Kingpin Play

1983idi

Reaction score
My 83 is having issues going straight again. I had it jacked up and tried to wiggle test everything. The only thing I could find was where the I beam attaches to the knuckle the knuckle can "slide" up and down the kingpin maybe a few thousandth. There is no play as if the kingpin or bushings were worn out. Question is if there is a way to repair this with spacers or if I have to replace the kingpin and bushings to fix that or if maybe it doesn't even matter.

2nd thing is I still have the original I beam bushings so I'm certian they are contributing to the loose steering feeling. Going to replace them and the radius bushings as long as I'm down there but they list different ones depending on bolt size. I'm assuming just measure the thread size but I got 9/16 but they list 1/2 or 5/8 so not sure what is going on there.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, there is a thrust bearing (bushing) in the knuckle that can be replaced. Unfortunately, you have to pull the kingpin out in order to replace it. By the time you drive the pin out, the knuckle bushings will likely be damaged to the point of needing to be replaced. I actually had to drive the kingpin out using a shop press (had to put the radius arm and I beam up on the press).

Not 100% sure on the radius arm bolts. I did the kingpin job a couple times on my truck but never messed with the axle pivot bushings.