83 not defrosting

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Hey guys,
This is the first winter I've had my low mile 83, and the other day we cut wood and used it to haul some home. It was snowing, lightly, at about 13 degrees with 0 deg wind chill. This truck has never warmed up over the space between the line and the N in NORMAL. Which I know I need to fix, probably a cheap thermostat causing it. But it just feels like the door side half of the defrost vents arent blowing anything. I dont know if this is natural or what, but this is going to have to be remedied, even if I have to fab up some duct work and hide it in the dash by the corners of the windshield.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Oh, forgot to add that the AC pump is not hooked up, but I honestly dont know what that would have to do with anything.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
prolly the air deverter isn't working properly. AC has a lot to do with defrosting the windows. It runs during defrost, to dry the air out.

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
prolly the air deverter isn't working properly. AC has a lot to do with defrosting the windows. It runs during defrost, to dry the air out.

Nah........it just runs so that it lubricates the pump and doesnt sit idle all winter.

If what you say is true how do vehicles without AC defrost??

I DO agree about the diverter. Friend had the same problem. The cable and diverter door was froze up and by not closing it wasnt sending air to the windshield. Simple easy test/fix is to stuff a rag in the floor heater vent and that should send air to the windshield.

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nah........it just runs so that it lubricates the pump and doesnt sit idle all winter.

If what you say is true how do vehicles without AC defrost??

I DO agree about the diverter. Friend had the same problem. The cable and diverter door was froze up and by not closing it wasnt sending air to the windshield. Simple easy test/fix is to stuff a rag in the floor heater vent and that should send air to the windshield.

Oh but yes the A/C dose have a lot to do with defrosting, defoging. It takes the moisture out of the air. Vehicles with out A/C only blows warm air on the windows, thats why the side and back windows fog up.

sassyrel

Reaction score
lucky is spot on about the air and moisture--but you still need to fix whatever vent door aint movin--thats why you have little blow--or the heater core or air core is half plugged---on the outside---with debris---

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You really only need the A/C in humid areas when it's warm (say Florida). The compressor does not come on when it's cold so it doesn't matter a bit with "frosted" windows.

At 13* out your truck will not warm up without blocking off part of the radiator, unless you are towing very heavy. Get a pizza box and block off about 1/3 - 1/2 of the radiator and your engine will run warmer.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Yea, good idea Roboto.
We have blankets on our other trucks, but I really didnt want to put any dorky looking button snaps on the grill of this nice truck.

BUT, it runs at that same spot or cooler in the summer too. So I still think the thermostat needs changed to solve that.

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
Oh but yes the A/C dose have a lot to do with defrosting, defoging. It takes the moisture out of the air. Vehicles with out A/C only blows warm air on the windows, thats why the side and back windows fog up.

You absolutely do NOT need AC to defrost windows! Why is this so hard to understand? With heat the moisture in the cab will evaporate off the window, if you desire drier air crack a window with defrost on and assuming it is cold dry air outside the vapor will exit the cab.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, good idea Roboto.
We have blankets on our other trucks, but I really didnt want to put any dorky looking button snaps on the grill of this nice truck.

BUT, it runs at that same spot or cooler in the summer too. So I still think the thermostat needs changed to solve that.

A new thermostat will help. But blocking the radiator will radically improve heater performance either way.