820 Cubic Inches & Barely 100 HP...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
All I can say is wow... a motor that big and no horse power... I bet it has some torque... I dought an idi would fit this... Too bad.... Maybe Jay Leno could make something unusual out of it too...

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All I can say is wow... a motor that big and no horse power... I bet it has some torque... I dought an idi would fit this... Too bad.... Maybe Jay Leno could make something unusual out of it too...

Not sure what you are talking about, but it sounds like an old tractor engine. For example a G John Deere had 412CIDs and only had 35hp.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holy cow- that thing is AMAZING! I'd LOVE a chance to drive that- old iron just impresses the hell out of me. Check out the chain pins- each one has a little cotter pin in it- just damn cool in my book.

Ryan

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I've seen one of those on the road once but in much better shape. The pictures don't to it justice because if its the same as what I saw, it is EFFING HUGE!!!! The driver was actually sitting slightly higher than me in my F250 when I looked over at it going the other way.

Love the exposed lifters and pushrods. That thing could kill you just from idling with all the exposed moving parts.;Sweet

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
thats not so out there for an engine designed to last Gary....
For instance, an EMD 16-645 NA makes around 2000hp.
thats 10,320ci so figure 5.16ci per hp.

that engine you are looking at has 8.2ci per hp, and is a hundred years older than the EMD.
Not so bad all things considered.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Yea thats cool!

Pretty funny looking at all of the pics, everything is old and original, then the last pic is a new aluminum radiator and an electric fan!

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
LOL yea I caught that too Darrin. I'd imagine they couldn't find the original parts for it anymore so just upgraded the cooling system while they were at it.

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
I once seen an old Mack truck in a museum, 481 C.I and only made 80 HP, but this one takes the cake! And I'll second that an EMD 16-645 only puts out 2000 HP and weighs in at 36,425 pounds! But it's one of the most reliable engines ever designed.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
That thing is pretty cool, the flywheel is freakin' huge and the seats look like something you would see in a living room.

JwS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.chittybangbang.com/chittybangbang-car.html
Most people don't realize the movie car was based on a real race car, check this out, talk about big engines, the first Chitty had a 23 Liter engine (1400cubes) and the last had a 27 liter engine (1650 cubic inches). the HP ratings were pretty small, but there is no denying the torque of a 1600 cubic inch engine....
JwS

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.chittybangbang.com/chittybangbang-car.html
Most people don't realize the movie car was based on a real race car, check this out, talk about big engines, the first Chitty had a 23 Liter engine (1400cubes) and the last had a 27 liter engine (1650 cubic inches). the HP ratings were pretty small, but there is no denying the torque of a 1600 cubic inch engine....
JwS

Cool article!;Sweet Didn't know they were using over head camshafts that far back.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online