8 lug wheels

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
will all 8 lug wheels fit my truck, or only ford specific??

i want to get rid of the simulators, so im lookin for a set of wheels for a dullie that i can buy within the next couple of months or so.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
8 on 6.5 bolt pattern only.
So basically, all ford and dodge wheels until 97. And now you can use all newer GM wheels. Ford went metric 7 bolt and GM went english 8 bolt.
Ford must be full of a bunch of idiots.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i know ford went with a 7 bolt but that was like for f150 hd or f250 ld around in 98,99 or so, i only think they did it a few years but i dont think they did it after 2000 but i could be wrong

sootman73

Reaction score
just to get this right ford changed to the 8 on 270mm when the superduty's came out? and in theory all the OBS are on 6.5?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
yes, in 98 or 99 whenever they started making the diesels again and started run of their bathroom duty's, thats when they went to the 8 bolt metric wheels.

sootman73

Reaction score
thats sweet. i know of some eight lug wheels that i previously didnt think would work! plus it'll be alot easier finding an extra set. thanks

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score

i want to get rid of the simulators, so im lookin for a set of wheels for a dullie that i can buy within the next couple of months or so.

So the "simulators" you speak of, are they just hubcaps that look like budd wheels, or are they real budd wheels with chromed hubcaps? I'm looking for a set of budd wheel adapters and budd wheels for the front of my F250 - to match the dually axle I have under the rear of it....

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
what i have, you dont want. i got a flat a couple of months ago and it screwed up the simulator on the front. its all bent and mis-shapen. doesnt bother me too much but will eventually get actual wheels for her.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The only wheels that will fit your F-350 DRW are the hub-centric wheels specifically made for it.

Other makes of wheels will fit the bolt-pattern, but will not bolt up properly.

The earlier Dodges are centered by the nuts and are COINED.

Chevys are too small in the center opening.

In my trade, I see all sorts of attempts to run the wrong 8-lug wheels on hubs that they weren't designed for, cracked wheels, egg-shaped lug-holes, studs worn in two, etc.

Be very careful and informed, before you start bolting on wheels that only fit the bolt-pattern.

As for the Fords ever having seven-lug wheels, I have never seen one; what I have seen plenty of are factory-Ford hub-caps that have seven simulated chrome nuts, which are merely adornments on the hub-cap.

oregon-mike

Reaction score
The only wheels that will fit your F-350 DRW are the hub-centric wheels specifically made for it.

Other makes of wheels will fit the bolt-pattern, but will not bolt up properly.

The earlier Dodges are centered by the nuts and are COINED.

Chevys are too small in the center opening.

In my trade, I see all sorts of attempts to run the wrong 8-lug wheels on hubs that they weren't designed for, cracked wheels, egg-shaped lug-holes, studs worn in two, etc.

Be very careful and informed, before you start bolting on wheels that only fit the bolt-pattern.

As for the Fords ever having seven-lug wheels, I have never seen one; what I have seen plenty of are factory-Ford hub-caps that have seven simulated chrome nuts, which are merely adornments on the hub-cap.

This is the info I had stashed deep in my brain somewhere but I wasn't positive until I saw your post. I can never remember which ones were hub centric and which ones (chebby/dodge) had the ID too small.

I've been looking for just a plain jane steel dually wheel for my '93 for the last 14 months on Eugene's Craigslist and haven't seen any singles. I've seen full sets of 6, but I don't want 6...only need one for a spare cookoo

Anyway, thanks for the reminder on the differences. Much appreciated;Sweet

Reaction score
It is disgusting to me that I know this, since I have always been a Chevy guy.

The 7 lugs are real. They started with the F250 light duty in 1997, and in '99 became the F150 "7700" They have a 7700# rating. Beefier frame and Sterling 10.25 semi floater.

The 7 lug hubcaps you see are after market reproductions of the classic ford 8 lug caps, changed to seven for copyright reasons.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 7 lugs are real. They started with the F250 light duty in 1997, and in '99 became the F150 "7700" They have a 7700# rating. Beefier frame and Sterling 10.25 semi floater.

The 7 lug hubcaps you see are after market reproductions of the classic ford 8 lug caps, changed to seven for copyright reasons.

I ain't meaning to argue, but we do all the tire/wheel work for the local Ford dealership, and the seven-lug hub-caps are/were on many brand-new F-150s and 250s straight off the hauler.

Last edited:

6xCrew

Newb
Reaction score
I ain't meaning to argue, but we do all the tire/wheel work for the local Ford dealership, and the seven-lug hub-caps are/were on many brand-new F-150s and 250s straight off the hauler.

No offence but I got to back Dean here. They do exist. WFT for I can not say but 7 lug wheels are real.

Calvin

6xCrew

Newb
Reaction score
This is the info I had stashed deep in my brain somewhere but I wasn't positive until I saw your post. I can never remember which ones were hub centric and which ones (chebby/dodge) had the ID too small.

I've been looking for just a plain jane steel dually wheel for my '93 for the last 14 months on Eugene's Craigslist and haven't seen any singles. I've seen full sets of 6, but I don't want 6...only need one for a spare cookoo

Anyway, thanks for the reminder on the differences. Much appreciated;Sweet

You need a 16 or a 16.5? I have a couple 16.5s off a 76 F-350

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online