7.3L Turbo return oil leak

jmono

Reaction score
I'm missing a gromet for my turbo kit so I leak a bunch of oil. I tried sealing it with silocon, but it's not really working. It's the gromet that screws into the back of the valley pan/manifold that the pedistal/return line goes into the manifold. Ford doesn't supply parts for it any more because they discontinued it, and international said it was ford's deal. Do you think ATS would sell me just the gromet? Anyone have one laying around? I can't be without a truck and I can't leak oil everywhere I go.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Those are available thru ats or at least they were. They don't screw into the valley pan either. The plug in the back of the pan is the drain and hold down nut with a 3/8 inch square hole in it. Ford no longer makes them either. I bought 11% of the last bunch they had so I have a few.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The oil return line does not go into the plug that screws into the valley pan, farthest to the rear. The screwin plug is there to hold the valley pan down and its a drain for the pan. Just ahead of that screwin plug should be a large grommet hole where the CCV went into before, about 1-1/4", that is where the oil return line goes. If you are just adding the turbo to a non turbo engine, be sure and punch several 1/4" holes in the baffle under the valley pan thru the grommet hole, or the oil won't drain away fast enough. Ask me how I know. You will need a grommet to fit the hole with a hole in it for the oil return tube to fit tight, and slob some RTV on the tube about a 1/2" up from the end before shoving it in. Clean grommet and tube with brake cleaner so the RTV will stick.

Last edited:

jmono

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys.

So I should punch a few holes below that hole that return line goes? Should I call ATS and see if I can get a grommet if I don't find one at a junkyard tomorrow?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely punch the holes in there. I didn't know that until 2 days after I installed my turbo on the "92", oil runs down the back of the engine when I rev it up, now I have to take the turbo off and do that. :mad: -cuss

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have those in stock for the wastegated turbo.

kpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered that same grommet from a supplier here in Finland and i was waiting on it and now after 2.5 weeks he wrote that it's discontinued and i won't be getting it either :mad: . Well i guess i'll have to put everything back together with an old grommet...

jmono

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. I got a grommet and o-ring kit from ATS for 50 bucks. Should be here in a couple days.

bajabomber87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
*** mine was 75 shipped!

but why isnt the punching holes deal included in the instructions? I just installed my kit in the past two days and Im not looking forward to having to remove it all.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ordered that same grommet from a supplier here in Finland and i was waiting on it and now after 2.5 weeks he wrote that it's discontinued and i won't be getting it either :mad: . Well i guess i'll have to put everything back together with an old grommet...

Yuk. Didn't I see you post that another member here was fixing you up with a grommet?

71cc

Reaction score
I don't know what size the drain is on the other kits, but the one on my Banks non wastegated kit is a 3/4" tube. I browsed the "Help" section of the parts store and found a pcv style grommet that worked. It is 1-1/4" OD and 3/4" ID. It popped in the valley pan snug and fit the drain tube tightly. It is marked "for Chrysler applications" . It was about $4.00 . I am glad I read the extra drain holes tip. I am in the process of reinstalling mine.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Usually the extra drain holes in the valley pan are for the early pans. The late model pans really don't need the holes but... Why taks a chance thats not necessary. Use an ice pick or a scratchall. There are several layers of metal and any metal chips wont just drop out or wash out. Its impossible to know for sure its clean. Driving an ice pick thru it wont leave tiny metal particals floating around. If they get into the oil pump and pass then they will be trapped in the oil cooler or maybe the oil pressure regulater. None of these are good options...

kpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yuk. Didn't I see you post that another member here was fixing you up with a grommet?

Yep, i wrote that post just before i noticed Typ4's post that he has those grommets and now thanks to Typ4 it's on its way here :hail .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morerunner

Members online