7.3L idi boots max stock pressure

clint bartels

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Title says it all what is the max boot a stock 7.3 idi can run vs a studded idi? Hard numbers what you have run and what your have seen done. What lasts without major life cutting.

My sub question is what limits idi turbo pressure vs PSD pressure?

clint bartels

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck im looking to do this on is a 94 non psd. I dont really know that much about the engine other than its 7.3l displacement.

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This was sarcasm.

If all you know about your engine is the displacement I would advise you do some more research and learn the idi platform before diving into turboing it.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I think I spent 2 years researching, reading, posting questions, and finding options before I turboed my IDI van. Granted, the IDI truck has more info more easily accessible about turboing them, but still, it's a major engine mod and requires lots of preparation.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anything over 4 psi will blow your idi without decompressed pistons and direct injection.

That made my day right there! LOL

Ok well school me on them what kind of prep and mod is required and what are the pit falls?

Stock head bolts: Stick to 10-13 PSI if reliability a concern. Much more then that is not easy to achieve without fuel system upgrades anyway. Intercooling becomes more important above 13-15PSI as well.

With head studs? Not sure. Some have been able to hit 20 PSI even with stock head bolts. I personally don't advise this for your main work vehicle though. Weekend warrior, sure.

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok well school me on them what kind of prep and mod is required and what are the pit falls?

It all depends on a lot of factors. Used vs new, which turbo kit you like, what you want to get out of it, how much boost you want, how to control EGT's, DIY vs professional installation, etc. That's my point. About every other week, a new person signs on to the forum and asks "I bought an IDI and want to make it a turbo, do all the research for me." Spend a few days reading and searching this forum. It's flooded with great information on all the topics you can think of. Then you can start to determine the things I mentioned above.

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score

This is not an authoritative how-to but I just finished putting a turbo on mine... don't even need to use a search, it is on the second page right now! https://www.oilburners.net/threads/my-turbo-tale.82570/

Everyone here would like to help you but there should be lots of info available already; if you have specific questions then it is easier for us answer.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One relatively simple option is to get a stock turbo setup, and turn up your stock pump. I'm planning to do that if I can ever find the parts for a reasonable price.
You can always get crazy with the boost, moose pump, etc. later on...

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One relatively simple option is to get a stock turbo setup, and turn up your stock pump. I'm planning to do that if I can ever find the parts for a reasonable price.
You can always get crazy with the boost, moose pump, etc. later on...

That's what I did, bought a stock ATS 093 turbo the was just rebuilt, installed it on my stock "non-studded" engine, and didn't tamper with stock setting on waste gate. I did have to turn up fuel. Figured the factory settings would be safe and now with numerous years and miles of use with zero issues it has been confirmed. It produces around 8psi and while it's not a "fire breathing dragon", there's a very noticeable performance difference from normally aspirated.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
12 psi is fine on a 7.3, but the op has a 6.9. Personally I wouldn’t even turbo a 6.9 without studs, they were known in the 80s to headgasket faliures just na. Even with studs you don’t want to push much further than 20psi. If you want to build an idi for boost the first step is to get a 7.3, not a 6.9.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online

No members online now.