7.3L F250 Keeps dying!

Adam M

Reaction score
:confused:

For some reason whenever I rev up the engine and let off the throttle it often bogs down and dies.
This has also happened when on the highway and I go to downshift and as soon as I push the clutch in and pull it out of gear it dies at which point ive either had to pop the clutch or turn the key to get it back on. Then it fires up and runs fine for a while then does it again.

Any ideas on what this could be?
any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
metering valve in the ip or air in the fuel, try to fill the filter with atf, fire it up and run it for about 10 sec then kill it. let it sit overnight and then drive it like crazy the next day.

Adam M

Reaction score
metering valve in the ip or air in the fuel, try to fill the filter with atf, fire it up and run it for about 10 sec then kill it. let it sit overnight and then drive it like crazy the next day.

So fill the fuel filter with that? I'm actually fixin' to put a new fuel filter on, gonna try the Wix that fixes the common leaking problems of the Fram I have now. Reckon that may be it? Sorry, I'm more or less pretty handy when it comes to cars but this is my first diesel. You help is appreciated! :hail

Last edited:

Adam M

Reaction score
min was doing the say last week would die but u hit the key fired right back up i had a dirty filter

I have a K&N gonna clean it for sure, and put the new filter on, HOPEFULLY Ill be good to go!

Yall have been a big help, I'll let you know how it goes this weekend!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you regularly run a fuel additive? If not, you should be. Stanadyne Performance Formula will prevent these kinds of problems. So will several other brands. But not running anything, is asking for trouble with todays crappy fuels.

hotshotidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem I added diesel clean and sandysten ip additive and drove it like I stole it worked great then I change the filter

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Our trucks have a filter restriction lite on the dash. As the filters clog up we get a vacuum on the supply from the filter to the injection pump line. Thats when the dash lite is supposed to light up. Metering valves do stick and cause this problem your having. changing filters is your best bet plus running atf in the new filter for 10 or 20 seconds. then let it sit overnite to eat the crap thats gumming up the injection pump overnite. Please do not pour the atf in the big easy to see hole in the filter. Any dirt in the oil will not be filtered and it will harm the injection pump. Pour slowly into the outer ring of holes so the atf is actually being filtered. Trust be on this. It saves a pump ...

Last edited:

Adam M

Reaction score
Do you regularly run a fuel additive? If not, you should be. Stanadyne Performance Formula will prevent these kinds of problems. So will several other brands. But not running anything, is asking for trouble with todays crappy fuels.

No I haven't started using additives. Great advice I will do that!

Adam M

Reaction score
Our teucks have a filter restriction lite on the dash. As the filters clog up we get a vacuum on the supply from the filter to the injection pump line. Thats when the dash lite is supposed to light up. Metering valves do stick and cause this problem your having. changing filters is your best bet plus running atf in the new filter for 10 or 20 seconds. then let it sit overnite to eat the crap thats gumming up the injection pump overnite. Please do not pour the atf in the big easy to see hole in the filter. Any dirt in the oil will not be filtered and it will harm the injection pump. Pour slowly into the outer ring of holes so the atf is actually being filtered. Trust be on this. It saves a pump ...

Thanks for telling me that!! I would have done the easy way. Yall are so helpful, I appreciate it!