7.3idi super duty starter

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
Hey all. So, my starter in my 94 F super duty has an issue, sometimes it just spins without engaging the flywheel. Happens rarely but it also cranks very very slowly.

I had replaced the starter in my 94 F250 with a high torq model from DB electrical.

When I enter my new truck's info, it pulls up a different starter from the one I had installed. Does the Super duty model take a different starter? The one that their search function comes up with is also a 4KW whereas the one in my F250 was a 2.5KW. It is also about double the price.

F-SuperDuty DB Electrical starter

F-250 DB Electrical Starter

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
I just looked at the links, and the F super duty starter claims to fit all E and F series IDIs, and the f250 starter claims to fit all F series IDIs, but not E series or F super duty. I don't see a reason why you can't use the f250 starter. If the F super duty starter fits all F series than I would think all F series starters fit F super duty's. I don't think there is any fit difference between the two. Boy, that sounds confusing!

Rock

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One is standard, the super duty listing is the 4.0 KW starter I always use. SND0623 is the arrowhead number from DB

ISPKI

Reaction score
One is standard, the super duty listing is the 4.0 KW starter I always use. SND0623 is the arrowhead number from DB

The 4KW looks like it has a different mounting pattern...or is it just rotated in the image. It looks like it is missing 1 of the 3 mounting bolt holes. I figured with it being a 4kw starter it would be better to have more bolts but maybe it isn't necessary

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats all I use, I do use flange head bolts instead of the factory bolts. That starter likes good hot batteries.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
All of the different types of IDI starters are interchangable. Even though they have different bodies, you can use any one in place of any other one.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see 5 starters for the this engine, big and small motor nippondenso, short and long mitsubishi, and a delco. All should work, just some are bigger than other especially the delco since is not gear reduction or the 2nd runner up the long mitsubishi. Pick your poison and go with it, I have the long mitsubishi since was in stock local to replace a short mitsubishi.

You must be registered for see images attach

Edit: Incorrect on a mitsubishi starter

Last edited:

ISPKI

Reaction score
Thats all I use, I do use flange head bolts instead of the factory bolts. That starter likes good hot batteries.

Got it, yeah I have a pack of special ARP bolts from a project at work that I can use.

Do you feel the 4Kw spins the motor a good bit faster than the stock 2.5kw unit?

I am making up new battery negative cables today out of some 4/0 welding cable that I had left over from my 600amp XMT machine. Using Selturm heavy tinned lugs and big crimp terminals crushed in a jig in a hydraulic press.

The positive cables look to have been replaced but the negatives appear to be original and have many cracks in the shielding down their length and in the lead terminals.

What do ya'all use for battery terminals? I am looking at using these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O7S8YVI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A6AY1HFZHO49U&psc=1

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you feel the 4Kw spins the motor a good bit faster than the stock 2.5kw unit?

I have had two two different 3.6kw mitsubishi starters and found them to be of two different speeds, the long is slightly faster than the short one so they could be two different drive ratios or is that I beat up the first getting the engine out of hibernation. Both of those did good getting it started down round 0°f. As for the drive ratio between the nippondenso and the mitsubishi, Im not sure on it since have not had the former. Do have one the nippondenso starters on the f100's fe and find it to be a fair bit slower than a direct drive, it dose have the torque needed to keep a steady speed to start a 10:1 gas engine with easy. So I would think the 2.5kw one could be a bit slow over the 4kw one and could give issues starting in extreme cold. I would go with the bigger of the two to be on the safe side.

What do ya'all use for battery terminals? I am looking at using these:

I am using 2/0 cable with ring terminals for the staters posative and negative is old 1/0 for now, I dont like these marine terminals since they vibrate loose.

I like these military terminals better and they hold tight that I have on the f100 and will get more of them at some point.

Using Selturm heavy tinned lugs and big crimp terminals crushed in a jig in a hydraulic press.

I just used a snapon lug crimp tool but could do it in a press if you have a means to put a indent in the terminals, like setup a center punch some how.

Last edited:

ISPKI

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for the pictures. I am going to use a V-Block with a dull wedge to crush in the center of the lug. We have a pipe crimper that works excellent for 1/2" copper plumbing pipe but its a tad too large for these lugs.

ISPKI

Reaction score
https://www.ebay.com/p/192971616

I really like these authentic Denso gear reduction units, you can find them for around $200 shipped. The high speed of the starter makes the truck seem a lot nicer

Thats what the DB Electrical unit I picked up for my F250 looks like. Have no idea on the specs for them though.

I am also looking at new units made by SKP as a direct replacement for the Denso gear reduction starter on Rockauto. Priced at 110$ but it doesnt have any specs on them.

Last edited:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes the 4KW spins the engine much faster. Keep in mind no starter likes low batteries, denso style is the worst for this.
But if thing are in order you wont crank more than 3 seconds with a 4kw

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats what the DB Electrical unit I picked up for my F250 looks like. Have no idea on the specs for them though.

From what I can tell from pics as a way to tell the two denso's apart, is that the 4kw one will have two bolt holes drilled and the 2.5kw one has three drilled.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online