7.3 turbo idi, bad miss, injector? no compression?

Still Strokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just throwing this out there to get an idea of what's wrong.... I'm buying a 94 F350 parts truck, has 360,000 but a replacement 7.3 turbo idi with 110,000 miles on it, and its documented.... truck in the last two weeks developed a miss on one or two cylinders.... There is no smoke at all out of the tail pipe, white nor black, but a very noticeable miss..... This is leading me to believe an injector is not firing at all....Thus if it was firing , I would be seeing raw fuel going out the exhaust.... I don't want to stick much money in this engine as I will be parting it out, but I hate to junk a good turbo idi engine with only 100,000 on it when someone could use it.... I bought this truck for the dana 60, will be parting the rest out along with the 3:55 gears since I need 4:10's... Anyway, enough rambling, hopefully russ or i can fix all might chime in ,

Paul

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Seems really odd that there is no smoke of any color out the exhaust. So if there was no compression you would have blue smoke if a piston had a hole. But no smoke almost tells me the injection pump has a plugged cylinder port.... If thats even possible. Do you know how many miles are on the injecters or the injection pump. Might be a simple pump and injecter change to repair. These usually live a hard life and are done around 125,000 miles more or less.

Still Strokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for chiming in, I did the blow by test which there is almost none, so that rules out a hole in a piston, or we would notice it once the crankcase oil fill is opened.... The pump was installed brand new when they installed the engine that had 110,000... So as I understood from the paper work it has 110,000 on it.... I'm going to agree with you as it seems to be a lack of fuel... dead injector or , bad pump... Is my past when the pump goes bad the truck wont even start... This thing starts up just fine and it was 35 degrees yesterday

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well the first thing to do is take a compression check on all cylinders. They should be 320 PSI or above. Only a SWAG would tell you whats wrong without knowing that.

SWAG-- Cracked/hole in piston(s)---burnt/broken valve--broke valve spring--bad injector(s)---and a whole lot of other things.

Still Strokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
10-4... I don't have any a compression tester for an IDI, I ain't buying one either lol, I''ll just part out the turbo kit, and other parts... Shame cause it has a brand new E40D, and transfer case, with 20,000 on it all documented on paper

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Can you post up the block serial numbers for us. These numbers wil tell us if this is a turbo or non turbo block. But really the only sure way to know if its a true turbo block is remove the pan and see the wrist pin size. A person can look at my non turbo block seraial numbers but have no idea whats inside.. I upgraded my engine to turbo standards so its a turbo engine now without the 1/4 inch oil galley post size..

Still Strokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can do that... Let me get the truck home in a week or so.... and I'll post the block numbers on both engines..... I'm know one is for sure a turbo engine cause it came out of the truck, this is a one owner truck...... We are currently getting 8" of snow, so give me some time for the roads to clear and i'll post it..

Still Strokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About 40 miles north way the crow flies.... 70 miles by road . If you want to map quest it its hamburg , il 62045

Still Strokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
7.3 turbo idi, bad miss, injector? No compression? Pictures added

Got this beast home .... Where on the block are the correct casting numbers ? Back left like a small block Chevy ?

You must be registered for see images attach

Iowa 73

FNM
Reaction score
That is a nice looking truck. What kind of shape is the core support in?

Still Strokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks.... The outside is nice but the inside is trashed.... I mean like trashed like a homeless hobo with 9 wives smokin Marlboro red's not carin trashed..... Ill check the core support out this weekend ..... Bought this beast for the Dana 60 , springs, 4" blocks and sway bars... Ended up getting 2 turbo kits with and a spare engine . Prolly part the rest out.... Something for everyone

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The above posting about serial numbers is correct. You will ned to clean off some crap to see them. Sometimes you will need to clean off some rtv near the injection pump gear cover too. The marks are stamped into the block.. Not cast in like the block casting numbers are on the cylinder wall.. Those are tuff to get at most of the time anyway...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fizzle