7.3 smoke at startup

beebelawn

Reaction score
My 94 turbo is smoking at startup pretty bad. when it warms up it pretty much goes away. someone said the timing ring was prolly worn. Is there anyway to replace that or would i be in need of a new pump?

Exekiel69

Reaction score
is it white smoke? blue smoke?

How old are Your fuel return lines? If white, it could be air in the lines and once the system primes itself the white smoke will clear.

beebelawn

Reaction score
not sure on the glow plugs what kind of shape they're in. starts fairly easy. I replaced all the rubbers lines with new clamps already.

beebelawn

Reaction score
not sure on how long it stays on. but it will go off and the voltmeter will flicker and you can hear the glow plug relay clicking. after it stops clicking it will crank.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's your problem right there, you are waiting till the GP's are shut off to crank the engine. The first 6 - 8 seconds the GP's are ON and HOT. The next (whenever) seconds the afterglow kicks in and the GP's stay WARM. Once the clicking stops the GP's are OFF and cooling down.

You need to crank the engine while the GP's are still ON.

jeffgordon24

91 f250 kingcab 4*4
Reaction score
you can also start by checking your glow plugs out
unplug them connect a test light to positive batt. and touch the glow plug where it was connected
if your test light doesnt light up your glow plug is shot

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good point the orings at least and probably the caps should be replaced when the rubber return lines are replaced,
J.D.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
440wagon

Staff online