7.3 na performance

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im sure this has been hashed to death but, im asking again.

Since its looking like i wont be able to put a turbo kit on my truck without trimming my firewall what can i do for performance on an na motor?

Also there is a company out there that makes custom headers for the 7.3 na's anyone remember who that is?

Also does anyone know where i can find all the necesary items to make my long block engine run? I know where to get fuel stuff, but need the intake maniold, exhaust, wiring and so on?

Last edited:

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Stan's Header is the place to be...

Poke Here

Now EZ used a scissor jack and just pushed his firewall back to gain the needed room, which in my opinion is a better way to do it than cutting and bending it back (I did the cut and bend deal).

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
Propane, and or methanol injection. I doubt the cost/hp ratio with headers are worth messing around with. Ram air and turned-up IP will offer some more ponies.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Any 6.9 or 7.3 intake manifold will fit. They both use the same part. The exhaust manifolds are the same from any 6.9 or 7.3 truck only. The vans use a differant drivers side exhaust manifolds as do the bigger dump trucks and buss'es. Ebay has them listed from time to time. Also you could find these parts on a wrecking yard blown motor really cheap. These parts usually don't wear out or break....

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I notice you mention a long block, do you have the engine out? if so, it's a piece of cake to bend that flange back on the firewall.
I cut it with a cutoff wheel about every 6" and stuck a big piece of pipe in there and levered it up, it bent easily ( and my old bones don't have much oomph left in them these days :D

Even with the engine in, it looks like it wouldnb't be too bad if you went in there with an air nibbler or body saw from underneath, then bend from above.

---------Robert

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
some of you have just bent the firewall on the 1976 body style? Would that just work? But when just bending it can you tell from inside the cab or in the engine bay? Will this affect anything strength or fit ment wise in the interior?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IDIdieselman decided againsta turbo cause he didn't like the firewall cutting he'd need to do to make it fit in his '79. Other guys have found it acceptable and use a turbo in the old 70s body style with a 6.9/7.3 swap. Try and talk to one of these guys and then make your decision. Doubt it makes any difference unless you're going to be showing it at a truck show or something like that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online