7.3 loses power

kleiner

Reaction score
My 7.3L IDI loses power under load. Has just over 200,000 km on motor. Injection pump never been touched and same injectors. Is it time for a new pump and injectors?

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
no idea on what that equates to in miles and dont care to look. pump and injector life is on average ending at 125000 miles. yes they have lasted longer but other fail before. all depends on usage and care.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
before anyone can answer this question, we really need to know how much fuel pressure youre getting after the filter.
all vehicles and vessels for that matter, need a fuel pressure gauge.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
With those miles, I'd say that more than likely they need to be replaced. You may be able to buy a little more time by having the timing checked. The timing slows down as the pump wears, so it could help. No guarantees, though.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chances are though that your problem has more to do with a fuel clog than anything. It simply starts running out of fuel and has less power because of it.

No surging means you probably aren't sucking air in, but you aren't getting the fuel.

I'd change the fuel filter first. If that doesn't work, it might be worth using compressed air and blowing back through the lines. You'll want to take the rubber hose off the lift pump on the side of the block and blow into that.

Might also want to replace the lift pump too, while you are at it... but I doubt that's the problem.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine hates hot weather. It runs fine on cooler days but this 109f stuff kills its power and makes it smoke.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine hates hot weather. It runs fine on cooler days but this 109f stuff kills its power and makes it smoke.
Time for a turbocharger!

Yeah, the air is less dense the hotter it is; the more air you can cram in there, the better off you are.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Time for a turbocharger!

Yeah, the air is less dense the hotter it is; the more air you can cram in there, the better off you are.
I never thought that it would make such a huge difference.

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never thought that it would make such a huge difference.

Many people underestimate the effect ambient temps can affect a motor. Even more so our motors. But I agree that a turbo and an aftermarket intake would do wonders for you. I'm thinking when I put in my intercooler to use a cowl setup with it but fab up a stainless steel filter box so I don't have to use the stock filter.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many people underestimate the effect ambient temps can affect a motor. Even more so our motors.
Part of this is simply that as a NA motor, it's running right at the maximum fuel point all the time to get that HP out, so there isn't much in the way of 'spare air' available for changes in density - It's pretty much air-limited the whole time(when you are using that HP)
Check this out:
http://bankspower.com/magazines/show/486-Banks-Sidewinder-Turbo
There's some very useful info in there.

Also, I'm pretty sure that engine wear factors into it far more with a NA engine than a turbo engine. With a stock IP(at the time) and Sidewinder turbo, I had a slobbering worn-out old motor that ended up having .020" of bore taper(!). It still ran fine, but was a little weak off idle. Once you hit 2K RPM and the turbo kicked in, it would pull hard.
I had it rebuilt, and despite having other issues, it really made a difference down in the "NA" range where the turbo isn't doing much... but once the turbo kicked in, it felt the same - to the point that I was feeling a bit underwhelmed by spending a bunch on a full rebuild.

I never did a before/after comparison on the dyno, but that would definitely have been interesting.

Oh, and the one NA IDI I've seen run on a dyno locally? Made 85 HP(this is at 2k elevation). So there's definitely some loss with engine wear, especially with a NA motor.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
That's true about the temps. I know that when it's 90-95 outside, I can start mine without even hitting the glow plug button. It cranks up just like a gasser. Yes they are manual glow plugs.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's true about the temps. I know that when it's 90-95 outside, I can start mine without even hitting the glow plug button. It cranks up just like a gasser. Yes they are manual glow plugs.
Ya i dont use mine under about 70f