7.3 IDIT are suppose to leak

rewbrooks50

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I received a used injector line and IP output fitting from Wes today. I installed both parts and it still leaks.
Do I need to get a brand new line that has never been installed or seated?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now that’s weird, these flare fittings on the high pressure lines don’t have any crush to them, they are meant to be reusable so that new line should be fine, is it possible it’s just not snug enough, may try backing it off and leaving the injector side finger tight, then tightening the pump side completely, then tightening the injector side and see if that gets the line seated properly.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cross threaded in the past? (Would still leak now. Even if you got it right.)

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the line had been cross threaded in the past, it wouldnt have gone onto the new discharge fitting easily and it threaded all the way down onto it when I tested it at the shop, it may just not be sitting on there square so the flare isnt sealing, or just not snug enough. Its not an easy place to get a good tight connection with it installed in the truck.

rewbrooks50

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have ordered a new steel line from Diesel Stop on eBay and an emergency line from Accurate Diesel.

I tried three different lines. And another fitting in the IP. I tighten at the pump first then the injection connection. Same results. I tighten much as could.
We will see what the new parts do.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s not impossible, the return galley would have to be clogged for it to back up into the feed tube like that, if it’s just the pintle that is stuck then the pressure would just be going out the return and likely making that cap leak, but the return passage is a lot larger than tolerance of the pintle, so it would have to have some big crud in it to clog the return and make it back up into the feed line, I’m still thinking it’s an issue with the line to be leaking where it’s at, the dealership may have nos lines available that would be your best bet.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Skipping the b.s.
Nothing NEEDS 2 leak.
The 5 p"s come to mind.

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't believe that I've heard that one before. Is one of those "Pay Wes to fix it"? I think I'd be getting close to this if I was in that situation.
LoL. Proper planning prevents **** poor performance. It's better as 6Ps. I'm not sure how it applies. I guess he should have read the thread.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dgr
I posted the 5 p thing in post #5, thus having read the entire thread.
Now we have 35 more posts/info that leads to yet another 5 p's.
Something is getting by,overlooked,missed...
It will get sussed out ,
Op
I have had a line nut cracked and 1 line fractured seperate issues...fwiw.
Do not forget the idi weasels:sorry:

rewbrooks50

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have ordered a new #4 steel line and an emergency line from Accurate Diesel. Parts will be delivered today. After work I will install and pray.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the old line leaked. And the new(old) line leaked in the same place in the same way, it's not the line or it's nut. It's the fitting you are screwing it to.

If you cross threaded it the first time, if you pushed that too far, you may have damaged the threads on the IP fitting.

Alternatively...

Obviously, it was leaking. Or you wouldn't have tried to fix it. LOL So, how long was it leaking?

Had it just started leaking?

Again, I would be looking at the fitting. But also the possibility that something further to that is cracked or otherwise leaking.

Again, if both lines leaked, I would bet that if you get a brand new one, and get it on there just right, and guttentite, it will still leak. Because the problem is the fitting itself or further in.

rewbrooks50

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wes of CDD sent me a fitting from an IP in his shop. I mine to the one he sent. It leaked again.

Wes rebuilt my pump last year. He is unsure as to why it’s still leaking.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep both the discharge fitting and line have both been changed so it takes both those out of the mix, it will be interesting to see what happens once the new new line gets swapped on, if that doesn’t fix it I may need to take a road trip and put eyes on it, maybe pull the #4 injector and pop test it or swap it into a different hole, it’s not the usual cracked line leak through, so it will be interesting to see what the solution is.