7.3 idi freeze plugs

11ice

Reaction score
I found a freeze plug in my bellhousing which had coolandt pouring out of it. How tough to replace for a driveway mechanic? Shouold I replace all? How likely is it that the block is cracked?

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
Hopefully Gary Icanfixall will see this. I believe you need the tool to install the plugs, otherwise you risk them blowing back out at the worst possible time.

11ice

Reaction score
I do plan on using the tool- it's getting to the hole on the block that I'm worried about. How much work to get to the holes (aka engine core plug holes or freeze plug holes) on the back of the engine? Should I do all of them even if the others are intact? Is it possible to do without pulling the engine and just pulling the tranny?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The trans and flywheel needs to come off. Has this engine ever been overhauled... If so only the factory stainless steel freeze plugs are actually designed to fit and work properly. Others fit but they wont last. The brass after market are the worst. The oem plugs actually are ground to fit by cutting into the cast iron block. Do you run any coolant in this rig and was it low so the block froze. These blocks require 7 of these very special concave plugs and its true... Only install them with the special tool... Its made by OTC or Rotunda... They are one & the same... Part number for the tool is 303D045... Figure around $150.00 and probably a back order tool. Some emembers here have them.. You could ask torent or borrow too. Looking at you plug you will see the center in pressed in. Thats what the tool does to it... First it holds the plug in the machined plug hole... Then you hit the center of it to spread out the plug into the lips of the block... It can only be hammered in so far then the tool will not allow any more spread... Its a nicely made two part tool with very special angles made into it. Some jack@ss on the other site felt he was better at this job than me and told any fool that would listen... All you need is a hammer and a punch to install these simple plugs... I have been doing it this way for many years without any comebacks.... I felt he was out of line advising people the wrong way to do something important like this.... Hel... Go on utube and see the wrong way to remove an injection pump with the gear cover in one piece... As far as replacing all 7 plugs is up to you but... To do this you need to pull the engine because several plugs are behind the drivers side oil cooler bundle and both sides motor mounts. Use some sealant on them too... The oem sealant is no longer available so I use permatex avaitaion cement. Some really like hylomar because it will never harden....

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
I have the tool, you can use it for the cost of shipping (no need to buy too many of these $150 tools that get used once). The rear plugs on the block require not only taking off the transmission, but possibly removing the starter and trans adapter plate from the block as well. It is doable on your own, laying on your back, but it isn't fun. Drinking beer after you are done is fun.

11ice

Reaction score
Thanks for the info - genlightning, icanfixall and knuckledragger!
I'm kinda torn about this truck. I love it and have babied it until the last 2-3 years during which I've at least started it and ran it every 2-3 months. I've done all the basic stuff such as starter, alt, batts, inj lines, glow plugs, etc. The truck sounds great when I start it up (briefly-no coolant!) The truck looks good too. 2wd; 8' bed; supercab; xlt lariat; BUT it seems like the freeze plug job will make or brake me! Little over my head for driveway work- and what will go next? Inj pump probably cause its orig. E4od tranny maybe, although tranny shop said it was real solid with exception of sensor. Maybe lots of "collateral damage" to cooling system too.
Maybe I should cut my losses and give it away to a 7.3 fan? Or put more money into it because I love the truck. What will it cost for a freeze plug job- and what will it get me?
What do ya'll think?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
A complete freeze plug removel and installation job requires the engine to be removed from the truck... The plugs are cheap from Ford... They come in a 7 pack... International probably sells them the same way... Why do you feel you need to replace all of them anyway....:dunno

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
The instructions for replacing your freeze plugs are right here Follow those instructions and you will have no problems.
It's not all that hard to pull the engine out of one of these things to get it out where you can replace all teh plugs, and if you have one that has failed, I'd be concerned that someone has replaced the lot of them somewhere along the line and did it the wrong way, because it is extremely rare for a factory plug to leak

When we say dealer plugs, we mean it. There is a measurable difference in the height of the dome and the cut of the taper edges between the factory freeze plugs and ones available from Napa etc and if you were to attempt to use an aftermarlet one with the factory tool , there is simply no way the thing would set properly, there is too much difference in the height to permit proper sealing pressure to be applied and in some cases would fold the plug up on a narrow edge just itching to walk out

11ice

Reaction score
thanks again to all!
to icanfixall- I do not want to replace all of them- I'm just thinking if I go thru all the trouble of pulling engine, tranny, I mights well change them; I'm pretty sure the coolant mix had too much water and I'm pretty sure the coolant/water froze, so I'm thinking in addition to the one that popped, maybe the others were moved/tested. For the cost of the 6 extra plugs, it'd be a good "insurance" from having to pull the engine again(maybe my logic is wrong- if it aint broke, dont fix it?)! The plug I found is definately the original stainless steel. I will only use same type and ford tool to replace.
Truck runs sweet otherwise- never had such problem till I screwed up with the coolant mix. I'm the second owner since 65,000 miles now have 175,000.
THANKS AGAIN TO ALL- THIS SITE HAS BEEN VERY HELPFUL!!!

Travis Faith

Reaction score
Sorry to bring up old thread,but im having trouble finding the factory expansion plugs. Whats the best alternative?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Sorry to bring up old thread,but im having trouble finding the factory expansion plugs. Whats the best alternative?
Probably because there's no such thing as "factory expansion plugs."
If you follow the link in post 8, you will find the part number.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Travis Faith

Reaction score
Probably because there's no such thing as "factory expansion plugs."
If you follow the link in post 8, you will find the part number.

Excuse me, Ford Dealer freeze plugs then.
I looked for the part number listed and nothing comes up.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Excuse me, Ford Dealer freeze plugs then.
I looked for the part number listed and nothing comes up.
Scuse me for being the Jack wagon, hadn't realized they were discontinued.
Sealed Power Freeze Plugs 3818056
These appear to be the OEM style.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online