7.3 IDI driving problems

dieselfuelonly444

Reaction score
Hi all, was just driving around today after thinking I solved the problem that I was having but apparently not lol. When I'm driving, usually not til about 10 or so minutes in, depending on how long the truck was sitting beforehand, It will randomly give itself some extra gas and take off, If I keep my foot where it is it will continuously slowly accelerate by itself and it sounds more raw than it normally does when it does this. It happens for about ten or so seconds then goes back to normal, usually only happens when I'm above 40 or so. If I keep my foot at the same level the whole ten seconds or so this happens, It idles like crap when I slow down and recently has begun to stall out as well once I stop. It sounds like it wants to stall as Im slowing down but it doesnt. Also it will be driving along fine and randomly shut off. If I push in the schrader valve above the fuel filter it shoots air until the fuel pump cycles for about ten seconds. Could the stalling have been from the leaky return lines which I fixed last night (the truck hasnt stalled since then but Ive only driven it once since then) or could it be my fuel pump, not working correctly? And does anyone think that the crappy idling and truck somewhat taking off by itself have anything to do with the truck stalling?
Thanks in advance

dieselfuelonly444

Reaction score
Problem corrected with a late night/ early morning install of a new fuel pump thanks to CDX285! She's runnin like a top now.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well glad you got it fixed with some member help. Thats what this forum is about. People helping others in need. Two bolts and two lines and your done back on the roads....:thumbsup:;Sweet:D