7.3 Glow plug system idea

Ferd_Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was wondering if it work and be a good idea if you left the white wire on controller that you usually disconnect when running a manual push button. If you left that on and also ran a manual push button to get an extra couple of seconds when it's real cold. Sometimes my truck just needs a little bit more in the sub degree temperatures. Just wondering if it'd work and be worth doing. Any input would be appreciated

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Something along those lines will work.mine work off my keys and I have a push button my dad wired it up so honestly im not real sure how it's done but it can be

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

Ferd_Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On a 7.3. I know you can run a push button along with 6.9 glow plug system

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya got bad GP's or controller. Check the GP's first. If there all OK, then the controller is bad.

daazedjmcfarland

Reaction score
For all the problems controllers cause... I would just save the money and stick with the button

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For all the problems controllers cause... I would just save the money and stick with the button

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Well the controller when working is a terrific system. There really are not that many issues with 7.3 controllers.

My truck had push button. Removed it cleaned up crap wirirng a d replaced gp all 8 and bam...works flawlessly.

The issue with no controller is unkown failure of single or multiple gp. The controller if you pay attention indicates a problem. It is this indifation that causes people to wire in push button knztead of test replace gp that are bad.

Really simple effective system.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Wiring it the way you describe works fine. There are some controllers, even with good plugs and wiring, that sometimes just dont keep the plugs on long enough. If it works fine most of the time, and only a little is needed at super low temps I dont see a problem with this.

Mine has been wired like this for several years, and I think I finally taught the controller how long I want the plugs on for when it is really cold. Been getting 25 seconds or better of actual glow time out of the controller latelyLOL

daazedjmcfarland

Reaction score
Well the controller when working is a terrific system. There really are not that many issues with 7.3 controllers.

My truck had push button. Removed it cleaned up crap wirirng a d replaced gp all 8 and bam...works flawlessly.

The issue with no controller is unkown failure of single or multiple gp. The controller if you pay attention indicates a problem. It is this indifation that causes people to wire in push button knztead of test replace gp that are bad.

Really simple effective system.
I had posted this before I knew that the 6.9 had a different controller...I'm definitely going to be making the switch here but I still think it would be helpful to have the push as at least a fallback...

Sent from my SM-G900T

Rapidrob

Reaction score
I put in a push button in my 6.9 system 18 years ago. Never looked back. If one GP goes kaput, I can still start he engine. I do a 15 second count and then hit the starter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online