7.3 Cold cranking blow by?

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My uncle owned an Old Diesel BENZ .I remember it very clearly that he had a rag wrapped around a stick that was soaked in gasoline and light it like touch , Then my other uncle crank while the other one passing the stick over the intake for it to pull the hot vapor in . It took nearly 2 passes over the intake and she fires right up ....

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TahoeTom ... That Video clip made my day as it brought a lot of great memories back from across the Atlantic. That was their true starting fluid :D

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not the WD40 liquid that starts a diesel, it's the PROPANE propellant that does the job, so it takes quite a bit to do the job, that is if you have an old old can of it.

The propellant is now CO2. So what does CO2 do? It puts out fires.

So now ya know.

Ya learn something every day. :D

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not the WD40 liquid that starts a diesel, it's the PROPANE propellant that does the job, so it takes quite a bit to do the job, that is if you have an old old can of it.

The propellant is now CO2. So what does CO2 do? It puts out fires.

So now ya know.

Ya learn something every day. :D

lol... Ive personally never tried it.. had just heard it over the years. Gas on a rag or ether are my goto for hard starting. I like the flaming torch method... thats a new one for me!

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Ether in moderate doses is fine, as long as glow plugs are disabled. Half second spray while cranking should get it to fire up.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well... It was cranking slow and then the starter died... Swapped starters and hit it with ether... Was trying to start but wasn't getting fuel.

Pulled the fuel filter and it was only 1/2 full so topped it up. Added 10 gallons of fuel to the tank (sender isn't working)... Went to crank on it and it turned over twice and the batteries puttered out (hadn't charged them from last night).

Anyways... They are hooked up to my battery tender for the evening and we'll see what happens in the morning.

I'm pretty certain that the oil leak is the timing cover/pump mount... Yay.

Anyways... More to come.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update...

So it runs. Holding temp around 200-205. Oil pressure 15-18psi @ 750rpm

It's hazing blue pretty constant and blow by will pop the oil cap up as soon as its loose... However it doesn't change at all with rpm.

It has been sitting for atleast a month until now and its been running for about an hour. I found the oil leak... The previous owner pulled the threads where the oil fill bolts onto the gear cover. I'll redrill/tap it later.

Also going to change out the CDR for another one I have as oil is blowing past this one pretty good which I believe is the cause for the haze.

Has some air leaks to sort.. But I think it'll hold together until I get my spare engine rebuilt.

Thoughts?