6.9L diesel will a ZF-42 S5 tranny

xlisiv

Its all about girls
Reaction score
6.9L diesel will a ZF-42 S5 tranny fit a 6.9L Im converting my 1989 F-250 4x4 to a diesel origanlly was a 5.0L w/ZF-42 S5..

Thanks

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xlisiv said:
6.9L diesel will a ZF-42 S5 tranny fit a 6.9L Im converting my 1989 F-250 4x4 to a diesel origanlly was a 5.0L w/ZF-42 S5..

Thanks
I'm usually pretty good at figuring out "pigeon" but you have me stumped on this one. I presume you are asking if your ZF out of a small block gasser will fit a diesel.......not without some work and sacrifice. the 6.9 uses the largest bellhousing bolt pattern for Ford car and light truck. So, if this is gong to fly, you will need to do some cutting and welding on the bellhousing, you're best off by going over to your local wrecker and see if they will take your trans on trade PLUS CASH for a diesel ZF trans.

xlisiv

Its all about girls
Reaction score
can i change the adapter plate on the block?does a 7.3 have an adapter plate that I could re-drill .. Im a retired machinist for 25yrs with a complete machine shop at my home. Thanks towcat for the come back

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xlisiv said:
can i change the adapter plate on the block?does a 7.3 have an adapter plate that I could re-drill .. Im a retired machinist for 25yrs with a complete machine shop at my home. Thanks towcat for the come back
You can machine an adapter to fit the ZF....but how are you going to make that 65lb. monster of a flywheel to fit?

xlisiv

Its all about girls
Reaction score
redrill the 5.0

towcat said:
You can machine an adapter to fit the ZF....but how are you going to make that 65lb. monster of a flywheel to fit?
Redrill the 5.0 flywheel put now that im sitting back listening to my sell type thats alot of work ... maybe i should just buy a tranny that fits a 6.9 huh.. thanks again

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The other thing is that, in addition the bellhousing differences (which, as towcat and yourself have mentioned, would be more trouble than its worth by itself), the diesel ZF has different gear ratio sets from the g@$$er ZF. The tranny gear ratios on the g@$$er tranny would physically work, but the diesel ratios are far better suited to the IDI's power band...

Also, how tall is the 302 flywheel? Diesels with a ZF5 used a dual-mass flywheel; don't know if the g@$$ers did or not. If they didn't, the flywheel thickness difference would provide for yet another headache. Furthermore, will a clutch meant for a 302 handle the 6.9l's low-end torque?

Do yourself a favor and dig up a diesel ZF...you'll be happy you did. :)

BTW, welcome aboard!! :cool

Last edited:

xlisiv

Its all about girls
Reaction score
lol

The Warden said:
The other thing is that, in addition the bellhousing differences (which, as towcat and yourself have mentioned, would be more trouble than its worth by itself), the diesel ZF has different gear ratio sets from the g@$$er ZF. The tranny gear ratios on the g@$$er tranny would physically work, but the diesel ratios are far better suited to the IDI's power band...

Also, how tall is the 302 flywheel? Diesels with a ZF5 used a dual-mass flywheel; don't know if the g@$$ers did or not. If they didn't, the flywheel thickness difference would provide for yet another headache. Furthermore, will a clutch meant for a 302 handle the 6.9l's low-end torque?

Do yourself a favor and dig up a diesel ZF...you'll be happy you did. :)

BTW, welcome aboard!! :cool
yes i think it would be easier to buy 1... And thank you for the welcome aboard... Ill make a small web page to the show the world my butchery project ! 73's

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance