6.9idi to 7.3 powerstroke swap

donald

Reaction score
I have 86 f250 4x4 4spd with 6.9 non turbo that burns a good bit of oil. I found a 95 ambulance with 180k miles 2wd auto trans 7.3 for $600. My question is what do i have to change to make powerstoke work in my 86. Is it wroth it or should i find a good used idi motor. Thanks

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
depends how good of a wrench you are.
LOTS of electrical

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Well for that price point, I would do it.
But also, I've done a few swaps before.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Could always attempt to locate the supposed industrial application mechanical injection parts so you don't have to mess with the computer and electronics.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could always attempt to locate the supposed industrial application mechanical injection parts so you don't have to mess with the computer and electronics.

this is called the IDI LOL
the powerstroke has no mechanical injection available.
if i am incorrect, please school me, i need to buy 3 sets ASAP LOL

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score

That's why I said supposed. I'm glad that I didn't buy the truck that the guy claimed to have gotten a mechanically injected/industrial powerstroke and removed it in favor of the electronic setup already in the truck. I wonder what kind of basterdization was going on under that hood.

You could p-pump it, but that's pricey and I imagine it would still have electronic control. I haven't researched the workings of the powerstroke, but I don't like what i see when I look at injector components.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ive done a bit of looking into alternative injection methods, for marine use.
very expensive and still electronic.
ive done a few PSD projects and there not that bad, if you use the plug and play method.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The price for the PSD is right, although that makes me wonder what's wrong with it. Given the age and being an ambulance (running 8+ hrs a day) I'd expect that motor is tired if not completely shot. At the very least I would do a very detailed inspection of the engine before messing with it - would suck to go to all the work and find you swapped a worn out engine to replace a worn out engine. :puke:

The actual swap I don't think is too terribly bad if you're reasonable capable mechanically and have the attention to detail to figure out all the electrical stuff. If you have the complete chassis with the PSD that will help since you'll have everything there - where these type swaps go bad is when you have just the engine to start with and you wind up chasing down all the little odds and ends other parts and praying they all work together right.

Also note that the ambulance is probably a E series (van) chassis, so some things may be different than the truck application. I know there are minor differences in the idi motors so I'd expect something similar on the psd.

Plan on the truck being down for some time (estimate the amount of work conservatively then double that time....) and make sure to budget a decent amount of money for any parts you need - guaranty you'll break something, find something worn out, need a different part, etc. I personally would make sure I had the ability to spend $1000-1500 on parts before starting it. Again, would suck to get almost done and not be able to finish because you need something you can't afford then be stuck without a truck at all.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i would raise that price to 2-2500.
you cannot use cheap sensors and stuff on the PSD.
ive tried and failed epically.
CPS = 250
ICP = 250
IDM = 250
these are all ballpark prices from Ford, which you should buy.
if the donar engine comes with these, cool, but be ready to replace them.

i have a van and a truck in stock form with these engines, and the oil cooler is the same in between the two.
surprisingly.

BTW welcome to OB.net

donald

Reaction score
wow thanks for all the help i guess that i need to research the power stroke some more to see if i want one. I kinda like the mechanical pump on the Idi.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
If it runs fine, and everything is intact, then yes you can swap it over. You will have to swap all the electrical over, which will be a PITA. But if your up for a challenge, why not? You will have to keep the 4 speed, which kind of sucks since it has no overdrive (I can say that because thats what I have as well!), or source another 4x4 transmission (ZF-5 or E4OD).

As far as a DI Mechanical 7.3, its been done. Kits are expensive. http://www.gohypermax.com/ProductDisplay.aspx?ID=ac1c22c9-c515-4b4a-82cc-8df2dccc5adb

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score

Check out Power Stroke Army. There are some mechanical injected PSD over there. Including a very crazy Mustang.
If you want one you need a few $$$$. Want three you might need a mortgage.:rotflmao

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yea i saw the price, i about soiled my pants...
but that would be awesome!
one day when i hit the lottery.