6.9IDI....do I turbo or sell it?

jgriff0728

Reaction score
I love my IDI but the last time I towed with it there was much left to be desired. SO, I've been thinking about turbo-ing it. I've done some research on the wastegated vs non and such. Pretty much the only systems I've seen available, as far as kits go would be ATS, Banks or Hypermax. I've went through the internal battles of is it worth sinking the money into a turbo (new or used) or selling and moving up a few years into a powerstroke.

My concerns are, how much is the support for these older dinosaurs going to be around? ATS no longer makes their kits ( I don't know how much they support in parts, if at all). Banks and Hypermax are the only ones that still sell new kits but they've been rumored to be getting out for years now. IIRC Delphi is no longer making injectors.

I'd love to find a nice, affordable, used "kit" but wonder how easy it'll be to find missing parts, or any parts years to come down the road.

Until I figure out what I want to do for sure, I'll just keep fixing it up a little at a time. It's just at 126k miles it's about to the point where I know injectors/pump are coming. If I can help it I'd like to plan that to go along with a turbo.

I know it all comes down to preference. Just thought I'd get some reassurance to keep it, insights, and maybe even some different unbiased opinions lol.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I say turbo it, and get a powerstroke, can never have enough trucks!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the two most sought after models are ATS 093 oem and aftermarket and the wastegated Banks. Both are the most popular, ATS has better aftermarket support, Banks uses the most proprietary parts. be rest assured though, whichever one you choose and instal properly, it will be years before you need to give it attention.

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I say turbo it, and get a powerstroke, can never have enough trucks!
So true I have 9 trucks and cars two belong to to wive. One needs alittle work start driving the next one. And plus them 6.9/7.3idis all it needs is a 12v nothing else and they make kit to make the fuel shut off mechanica.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nothing better than having both!

You must be registered for see images attach

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
might as well add a small diesel truck to the fleet while you building a fleet. You know, for the compact spaces in the grocery store parking lot.

You must be registered for see images attach

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So... If you want to buy a /new/ turbo kit, check out idiperformance.com. He's got well-designed, similarly-priced new kits available.

Put a set of headstuds in that 6.9 and you should be good for around 20 PSI of boost. a 110 CC pump and a bigger-than-stock-kit turbo and you could probably make a good 300 HP at the wheels, easily more than a stock 7.3 Powerstroke or 6.0 Powerstroke.

If you go with a used 'stock-type' turbo kit like a Wastegated Banks, stock 90 CC turned-up pump and nothing else, you could probably make 210-220 HP at the wheels, which is in the range of a 99-02 7.3 Powerstroke.

A Wastegated Banks turbo, by the way, is good for 240-250 HP at the wheels - it just is too small to give you more HP than that.

For reference, a NA 7.3 IDI makes somewhere between 80 and 120 HP at the wheels, depending on whether it's in poor or good running condition.

jgriff0728

Reaction score
So... If you want to buy a /new/ turbo kit, check out idiperformance.com. He's got well-designed, similarly-priced new kits available.

Put a set of headstuds in that 6.9 and you should be good for around 20 PSI of boost. a 110 CC pump and a bigger-than-stock-kit turbo and you could probably make a good 300 HP at the wheels, easily more than a stock 7.3 Powerstroke or 6.0 Powerstroke.

If you go with a used 'stock-type' turbo kit like a Wastegated Banks, stock 90 CC turned-up pump and nothing else, you could probably make 210-220 HP at the wheels, which is in the range of a 99-02 7.3 Powerstroke.

A Wastegated Banks turbo, by the way, is good for 240-250 HP at the wheels - it just is too small to give you more HP than that.

For reference, a NA 7.3 IDI makes somewhere between 80 and 120 HP at the wheels, depending on whether it's in poor or good running condition.

Thanks Macrobb, I knew what I was getting into power-wise when I bought the truck originally. At the time I convinced myself that it was just to drive around the house locally, haul the occasional appliance, trash, whatever in the bed...you know. But now that I got it, I want more power. :cool

I wasn't really planning on building it too big. Stock powerstroke power is fine with me. I just want something with a little more git-up and go for the few times a year I plan on towing. So a used, or stock type turbo is plenty enough for me. My worry was what the availability is for parts on these turbo's now and the future. I know some people complain of trying to get parts and service from Banks but then I read another thread where someone just calls them up, tells them what they need and it's in the mail that day.

I guess, once I start putting money into this truck I'll probably end up keeping it until it dies or I do. I was just trying to pick a turbo that had the best support right now. So that if I bought a used kit and it was missing pieces I could find them fairly easy...without giving my firstborn for it lol.

I guess at the end of the day...if all the turbo's in the world are gone and nobody makes anything for an idi anymore, I could always go back to N/A

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get the parts easy. A
Hard thing to get will be the non wear items. Turbo parts can alway be found anywhere. We have a turbo shop in town. And R&D it's a good spot they make a idi with the powerstroke looking setup. If I had some money I would sink my money into there parts. I grab a stock turbo setup from a upullit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 89 IDI that I put in an 84 E350. I also have a 2001 E350 PSD. The PSD did not come waste gated.

I had a local shop build me a turbo that was intended for a 2000 PSD. Since there is no room on the engine in an 84 E350 I put it on the frame at about the end of the transmission. So my task was more difficult than yours would be.

But you don't need anybodys kit. The Turbo has no inherent up or down. The whole "kit" is four big tubes and two little tubes. If you want an inter-cooler that is a few more tubes. Mine also required a scavenge pump, timer and check valve.

Latebloomer

Reaction score
I just installed a Ford factory (ATS) turbo, that I found on Craigslist. It came with pretty much everything needed, except for new gaskets which I grabbed off fleabay.

Installed it on my 1990 F250 that had just been rebuilt because the 26 year old head gasket failed and the engine hydro locked on start up and bent a piston rod.

Big difference from before. I went ahead and grabbed some nice large exhaust pipe from a. Upull place and that made a nice difference as we. I was getting about 10lbs of boost which was plenty for my needs. Just some minor fine tuning of the system. (Some small leaks) and I would be done I figured.

Went into the hospital to have a kidney stone removed, and a buddy of mine borrowed my truck to rescue his truck and trailer that had broke down about an hour away.

I get out of the hospital to find out he over heated my truck. Now it's at the shop and I'm just waiting to see how much damage he did.

Anyway...Even if they have to pull the engine replace the head gasket or even the head for that matter... It's still a lot cheaper that a lot of trucks you see out there that have 270,000 miles on them. Alot cheaper

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RustyNail351

Members online