6.9IDI....do I turbo or sell it?

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just installed a Ford factory (ATS) turbo, that I found on Craigslist. It came with pretty much everything needed, except for new gaskets which I grabbed off fleabay.

Installed it on my 1990 F250 that had just been rebuilt because the 26 year old head gasket failed and the engine hydro locked on start up and bent a piston rod.

Big difference from before. I went ahead and grabbed some nice large exhaust pipe from a. Upull place and that made a nice difference as we. I was getting about 10lbs of boost which was plenty for my needs. Just some minor fine tuning of the system. (Some small leaks) and I would be done I figured.

Went into the hospital to have a kidney stone removed, and a buddy of mine borrowed my truck to rescue his truck and trailer that had broke down about an hour away.

I get out of the hospital to find out he over heated my truck. Now it's at the shop and I'm just waiting to see how much damage he did.

Anyway...Even if they have to pull the engine replace the head gasket or even the head for that matter... It's still a lot cheaper that a lot of trucks you see out there that have 270,000 miles on them. Alot cheaper
Hopefully he didn't run the EGT high to melt pistions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

jgriff0728

Reaction score
I just installed a Ford factory (ATS) turbo, that I found on Craigslist. It came with pretty much everything needed, except for new gaskets which I grabbed off fleabay.

Installed it on my 1990 F250 that had just been rebuilt because the 26 year old head gasket failed and the engine hydro locked on start up and bent a piston rod.

Big difference from before. I went ahead and grabbed some nice large exhaust pipe from a. Upull place and that made a nice difference as we. I was getting about 10lbs of boost which was plenty for my needs. Just some minor fine tuning of the system. (Some small leaks) and I would be done I figured.

Went into the hospital to have a kidney stone removed, and a buddy of mine borrowed my truck to rescue his truck and trailer that had broke down about an hour away.

I get out of the hospital to find out he over heated my truck. Now it's at the shop and I'm just waiting to see how much damage he did.

Anyway...Even if they have to pull the engine replace the head gasket or even the head for that matter... It's still a lot cheaper that a lot of trucks you see out there that have 270,000 miles on them. Alot cheaper

Sorry to hear about your luck. Sounds about like mine. Hopefully the truck isn't down for too long.

What did you think about the install - difficulty, time, etc?

I'm leaning toward an ATS 093. I'd do Banks if I can find one cheap enough but I see ATS more often. If you don't mind me asking, what's the going price for an ATS kit these days? I've seen the prices range quite a bit.

I know what you mean about the other trucks. Kinda the whole reason I originally posted this was because even if I decided to sell my IDI and take the extra money I'd put into fixing it up and bought a powerstroke. To be in that price range I would end up with a powerstroke with over twice the mileage and a body that's beat up and rusted out. That's why I think I'll just look to turbo my truck and fix her up over time.

jgriff0728

Reaction score
I've got a question for anyone...are the ATS kits trans specific? I believe the others have different crossover pipes between auto/manual but wasn't sure about ATS.