6.9 wont start????

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, My 6.9 was running great and then all the sudden I go to start it up and nothing??? I changed the fuel filter and the injector return lines and still nothing. It acts like it wants to start(sounds like a few cylinders are trying to fire but nothing more than that....It also puffs smoke when you are cranking it. The glow plugs are all good, I just tested them all. What could be wrong? Thanks in advance...Brad King T.C. Michigan.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Sounds just like when my el-cheapo electric fuel pump went out. Mine started, ran about 100 feet, then died and refused to start. Was running excellent prior to that, or so I thought. When I changed the fuel pump, it was like adding 4 cylinders, I had tons more power etc. so I would guess the pump had been dieing a slow death. I would check for fuel at the fuel filter and if you have fuel there, crack an injector line or two loose and see if you have fuel there. If you have a mechanical lift pump, I would suspect it but don't rule out a dead soldier on an electric either. You should have 4 psi or so at the shader valve on the fuel filter head and should see good fuel flow there (there is a quantity spec. but I can't remember it, I think 8 ounces or so in like 20 seconds of cranking) I will look for that spec. for a mechanical pump.

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I checked all the obvious....fuel filter,fuel lines, IP, Return and feed and still nothing....Forgot to mention that it is dripping fuel from somewhere and I have been up and down that motor and havent seen anyplace it could be coming from-cuss . I have looked at many books and everyone I know for help, so I come to you all:hail . I appreciate the previous post made.....Great suggestions just still cant get this thing to run...Any Idea's:confused: ? Thanks in advance, Brad King T.C. Michigan

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
forgot to mention...Checked for fuel at the fuel lines and the Injectors and I have fuel coming out....the fuel at the Injector was bubbily though(Maybe Air leak somewhere?) Just not sure why its leaking fuel though.

IDIeselman

Reaction score
Check the fuel pump,Although I've never seen it myself when they do go bad they will pump fuel out of the weep hole while still supplying a small amount to the engine. If this is the case you may also be filling your oil pan with diesel.

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just checked for fuel at the injectors. There was fuel but it didnt seem like alot....There where also bubbles coming out? What could this mean. Is the IP possibly bad?

IDIeselman

Reaction score
I doubt you're IP is bad, I didn't want to ask but you did fill the fuel filter before installing it right? If you changed the lines it may take a while to purge the air out just keep trying untill you get good fuel at the injectors then tighten the lines back up as you go and you should be running in no time.

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, Thanks for the help.....by the way you cant offend my by asking questions, thats the only way you find out(I did fill it before I installed). It just seems like all the air should be out by now. Not sure, I will keep at it and see if I cant get the old girl to fire. Thanks alot.

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
finally got a photo of my truck...not the best but it will do.... Built this truck from the ground up.....sandblasted the frame,powdercoated, put all new energy suspension in it. Almost ready for paint....and if anyone is wondering, it is a shortbox.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have smoke at the tailpipe when your cranking it, then you have fuel in the cylinders. I say it's a glow plug issue. Try manually applying power to one to two glow plugs (Just a hunk of wire held to the tip for 9 seconds from the battery) and have an assistant crank it immediately. If it's getting fuel you'll hear that cylinder fire.

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
some cyliders are trying to fire....There is smoke coming from the tailpipe when I crank it.....The engine sputters like it wants to start but it just wont....Now I just also built my own 3" exhaust for it and the only size downpipe that would fit between the firewall and the engine was 2.5", could this be a backpressure issue. Thanks for all the help

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Na. Backpresure isn't your problem. Is your block heater operable? I'd keep that block warm if you can, it may help.