6.9 what the heck is going on!

Dodonne2

Reaction score
Picture of my IP. Can you see all the black particles top right of the picture in the bottom of the pump res? They are rubber and I pulled out several larger chunks. What the hell is that? Is it worth even putti g it back together and risking a runaway or did I just find the problem? Rubber component failed and clogged the IP?

You must be registered for see images attach

Dodonne2

Reaction score
Top left in this picture. Lots of this rubber material all over. What the hell is it from?

You must be registered for see images attach

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That didn’t come from the pump, there’s no rubber components like that inside these db2s.

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's not good. Buggered Fuel filter? Do you have the factory hardline from the fuel filter housing to the nose of the injection pump? Only place I would think you could get rubber in there is if that's been replaced with a rubber line.

Probably going to need @Thewespaul 's address

Dodonne2

Reaction score
Still factory line from filter to nose of pump. Everything on this truck is factory and uncompromised. It honestly might have only 110,000. It is clean! Which is why this is so confusing.

Now 1 week ago I put diesel kleen in the filter and tried starting it to clear out crud. Is this where the rubber ate away and came into the system? Sitting there in such high concentrate in the fuel filter. Did I compound my problems here and create new ones with this diesel kleen, starting to think it wasnt a great idea. Ive heard mixed things about it

Dodonne2

Reaction score
I didnt know that. I must've got lucky with this current one. I cancelled the order. There is a local shop here that can do it for not a ridiculous amount. Any other suggestions? How about any ideas on where this black rubberish compound came from? No way diesel kleen can dissolve a rubber that quick, right?

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didnt know that. I must've got lucky with this current one. I cancelled the order. There is a local shop here that can do it for not a ridiculous amount. Any other suggestions? How about any ideas on where this black rubberish compound came from? No way diesel kleen can dissolve a rubber that quick, right?

No idea on the rubber. Get your rebuilt pump from Conastoga, Wes, R&D or typ4 Russ. Anyone else is a crap shoot.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
It's possible the rubber came from the little piece of fuel line between the intake side of the lift pump and the hard line. That is a common point of failure on these old trucks. Try replacing that line.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
It's possible the rubber came from the little piece of fuel line between the intake side of the lift pump and the hard line. That is a common point of failure on these old trucks. Try replacing that line.

On second thought, that should never have passed the fuel filter, or the screen at the nose of the injection pump.

Things that make you go hmm.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are not the first owner of the truck, right?

Possible that someone before you out rubber line from the filter to the IP?

Or maybe someone gutted a filter and put it back on there because of frustration about fuel flow?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online