6.9 swap complete,, sort of

illinoisboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok guys, the 7.3 to 6.9 swap is done, except for the turbo. i have an air cleaner on it now and am driving it. it runs good. the inside of the motor was immaculate when we changed the valve cover gaskets. the problem now is.....

the 6.9 has an ats turbo, and it is from an 84 truck. my 94 7.3 had a factory turbo. the ats off of the 84 will not fit in between the firewall, or the tranny. any thoughts? i hate to buy a new turbo set up. especially since i have 2 complete ones now that i dont know if i can use or not.

anyone interested in the 84 ats? thanks!:kick:

KR69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ILLBOY, glad to hear the swap went well (sort of). I would love the ATS. PM me so we can discuss it. My truck is an '84. If its complete you have a buyer if price is right.

suv7734

Reaction score
Regardless of what turbo you install you will need to modify the firewall for the downpipe (and in some cases the up-pipe) to fit. Usual tools involve a sawzall, large pipe and big hammer. Good to hear you're running.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the 94 factory turbo should fit on without any modification of the firewall. It has the smushed downpipe designed just for the purpose of clearing the firewall. Some cut away parts of teh firewall, others cave it in and peel it back with a prybar, pipe or piece of wood, still otehrs peel it back with a scissor jack. Of course if you cut a hole in the floor, that's an awfully bad idea that you'll have to fix. You can't swap parts between the two turbos though. Almost everything is different between them. Good luck with it.

7.3shrk

If kr69idi does not buy it for some reason, then I am all over it.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a really bad feeling you may be a victim of sagging cab/body mounts. take pics of the forward cab mounts and post them. Also, pics of the 6.9 turbo kit is helpful too;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance