6.9 smf with a zf5

ADV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will be pulling my 7.3 out soon and replacing it with a 6.9. I want to do a smf. Would i be able to use the stock 6.9 smf with my zf5?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if ya buy the correct pressure plate and clutch disk, yup!
IIRC, south bend chimed in a few weeks ago on a post sayin they had it.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought the zf system on the 7.3 used a thicker flywheel. I thought that was why you could not simply use the original 6.9 smf on a 7.3 when doing a dmf conversion. The zf bell is deeper?

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
I believe the flywheel needs to be redrilled with a different pattern to fit the ZF5 disk and pressure plate and maybe a slightly different balance. South Bend will sell you a whole package of what you need, I asked them shortly after getting my IDI and they will get you set up with what you need for SMF 6.9 ZF5. Still looking for a ZF5 as they get snatched up within hours of appearing on CL, but I'll be buying my clutch from South Bend when the time comes as they come recommended here and seem to keep offering support and parts for the older trucks.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score

It still isn't clear. Looks like South Bend quoted the guy who asked the question in the dark bold letters

"Yes. Would that clutch work with the stock flywheel.MU 0080TZ", and then answered him saying;

"Folks we can build whatever you need from mild to wild just takes a call to us and we will walk you through a series of questions to get the appropriate clutch for the application and needs".

They didn't really say if a stock 6.9 flywheel would work with a zf in my mind.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I used a AMS smf and 12'' clutch when I put a ZF behind my 6.9 I don't think the pressure plate bolt holes on the ZF clutch, line up with the 6.9 flywheel. I could be wrong though, its been a while

Ford F834

Reaction score
6.9 flywheel has 6 pressure plate bolts, the 7.3 has 8. Therefore a 7.3 SMF clutch won't bolt up. There used to be some 6.9 SMF conversion clutches but I tried to find them and they all seem to be discontinued. I ended up ordering a LuK #07225 kit for the NA 7.3 application. It has the correct balance for the 6.9 and is an excellent clutch. The whole kit was $319 from RockAuto including the flywheel. Just something to keep in mind if you are getting prices from Southbend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online