6.9 sitting for months w/ valve cover open- 5.5 gallons of water in crankcase-hmm...

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Hey welcome to the site!!
Time is money and so i would say take your time and fix it right? or just call me and i'll take it off your hands!! where in NC you at?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If its a 7.3 they have 1/2" head bolts, if a 6.9 its 7/16" 12 pt bolts either way. Don't forget to untorque the heads in the reverse of the torqueing sequence no more than 1/4 turn at a time until you can back them out by hand. A breaker bar is needed for the first couple 1/4 turns.

Polychlorinated

Used Register
Reaction score
Ah yes, 12 points. Curse the dim shop lights, should have caught that. H2odrx, I am in Greenville, otherwise known as G-vegas for the lights and sullied feeling you have when and if you get to leave. Well, as soon as I find a monkey to work the forklift I will get this beast out... maybe tomorrow. I will post some pics if any are interested. Also, incidentally, I do veg-oil conversions, and I recently got done with turning wrenches on Earthrace, a round the world record attempt running on biodiesel. Check it out at www.earthrace.net I transitioned to the ground crew after a nasty time off the coast of Guatemala. Anyway, thanks for the replies- I'll keep ya'll posted.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
man that sounds interesting... I checked out the site and looks like I need to spend sometime reading - very cool project!

Polychlorinated

Used Register
Reaction score
Finally got her out, but

So, my background is in marine engineering. Giant 2400BHP Clevelands, Cummins, John Deere... with reduction gears.It is amazing how you can get stuck with little stupid things like, what do you do when the torque converter comes out with the engine? Just pry it off?

Attachments

• 0726071214.jpg
    0726071214.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 8

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Ah yes, 12 points. Curse the dim shop lights, should have caught that. H2odrx, I am in Greenville, otherwise known as G-vegas for the lights and sullied feeling you have when and if you get to leave. Well, as soon as I find a monkey to work the forklift I will get this beast out... maybe tomorrow. I will post some pics if any are interested. Also, incidentally, I do veg-oil conversions, and I recently got done with turning wrenches on Earthrace, a round the world record attempt running on biodiesel. Check it out at www.earthrace.net I transitioned to the ground crew after a nasty time off the coast of Guatemala. Anyway, thanks for the replies- I'll keep ya'll posted.

Hey cool!
I've been watching that thing, cool beans! I've got myself looking at the bio thing and maybe vegg too? Let me know if you need any help i can be there in 20 mins or less!
dwight

PS. fill in you signature!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, my background is in marine engineering. Giant 2400BHP Clevelands, Cummins, John Deere... with reduction gears.It is amazing how you can get stuck with little stupid things like, what do you do when the torque converter comes out with the engine? Just pry it off?

Nothing wrong with doing it that way. Although I would put the converter on the trans first when you re-assemble. You do know there are a few bolts holding it on, right? LOL

Polychlorinated

Used Register
Reaction score
Yep, bolts, uh where? And why did the Haynes bibl...manual say to use vice grips to keep it from falling out of the tranny? I don't see this falling out nowheres, nohow. Of course, this is a cursory look over, got her out of the truck, let's go get some beers. I am used to direct drives and stick shifts, don't know about your new-fangled AUTO-matic? what kind of sci-fi futuristic crap is that?
And, I have a nice warehouse space. With a fridge. And a friend who makes beer. There is an open invite if you want to come. PM me and let me know. Oh, for the past four years I was a fishing guide in Alaska and have some salmon I caught to "get rid of" so a cook out is planned. Plus some to take back. My friends are busy with other things and I have reverted to bribary... so give me a shout if anyone is interested in hanging out!

BROWNIEBOY525

The old fleet
Reaction score
theres studs that go threw the fly wheel. there are four if you look at if from undernieth youll see them thats what the little cover is for down there.

fireman438

Reaction score
Well, looks like Mel informed you on the four bolts that hold the converter to the flex plate. Haynes says to keep the converter in the tranny any way possible (my words) because lining up the tangs on the converter with the hydraulic oil pump in the tranny (the one you can't see, it's all done by feel) can be a royal pain in the kiester...don't ask how I know. If the tangs are not in the slots in the pump when you mount the engine back to the tranny, the tangs can do some significant damage to the pump when the engine-to-tranny bolts are cinched up. Meaning, you guessed it, pulling the tranny out for repairs!! so, take your time when re-aligning the torque converter, since you've left yourself no choice now. PM me if you need any more help.

Rich