6.9 parts ror 7.3

purg113

new to me f350
Reaction score
What parts from a 6.9 will fit on my 7.3 I know the oil pan and a couple others.
why I am wanting to know is I can get a 6.9 for around 300 and was thinking about using it for parts so I wanted to know if it was worth it or not.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Every internal part of the 6.9 fits the 7.3. Just the pistons and turbo rods are different. Some have had issues with balancing a turbo engine using a non turbo flywheel or damper but thats no problem.. Even the 6.9 head gaskets can be used in the 7.3 engines. They are the same size everywhere. If a person is to do this please open up the block and heads coolant passages in the lower corners like they are in the 6.9. then you will have better cooling on the 7.3 engines. Mel brought this up many years ago posting that 6.9 engines were resistant to overheating but the 7.3 was not. This is the only reason he came up with so I have run with it. A few members are running 6.9 gaskets on the 7.3 and no problems

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I recall they tend to run fine and not heat up if they are pulled hard. Why Ford plugged off those coolant passages is still up in the air. Both Mel and I thought it was to warm up the engines to pass smog requirements that year. Nothing else would make sence like the head gaskets were failing and coolant leaks from the lower edges. On a 6.9 block this are has a large triangle passage but the gasket is necked down to a slot about 5/16 long and 3/16 wide. Its actually an insert to the gasket.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
I'm tempted to put some seriously oversized rings on a set of 6.9 pistons I have and drop them into a 7.3 I'm working on just to run it and say "even the piston's will work in a pinch" :sly

kuskoal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everything from the 6.9 will fit the 7.3. everything but the pistons and the cylinder heads/head bolts. Though i am fairly sure the valves, springs and definitely the rockers/pushrods exchange.

same connecting rods, oil pump, crank shaft, cam shaft, manifolds, they are giant lego's!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The outside of the 6.9 and 7.3 are drilled and taped exactly the same. We can't run a 6.9 head on a 7.3 without drilling out the heads to accept the larger head bolts but. We can run a 7.3 head on a 6.9 with no issues. some 6.9 engines had the low grade rockers that were problematis but they will work on the 7.3 too. We can't buy that type any longer now. The exhaust is the same between the engines too but the vans have a different drivers side manifold. It stil bolts to any engine. any injection pump from 6.9 or 7.3 will fit both engines too.