6.9 or 7.3

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
which one is better and why the reson am asking because my 7.3 got the worm lol and i plan on geting a reman from advance they have a 3 yr 100000 mile deal they wont 3200 for a 7.3 long block

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Before you buy from any rebuilder you need to ask some very important questions of them first... The number one question about a 7.3 is did they bore it out or install new sleeves. The biggest differance between the 6.9 and 7.3 is the head bolts size... The 6.9 is small at 7/16 and the 7.3 is 1/2 inch... Now if you install studs in the 6.9 you will be fine... Same with the 7.3... My thoughts are sleeving a 7.3 down to a 6.9... This would be a great motor without the problems of cavation issues like the 7.3 has... Barnett offers a 7.7 and 7.9 stroker kit too. I have not talked to them as to how its made up yet...

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ill call them out today to find out if there resleeve it or not if they are ill walk away from the 7.3 the reson i dont wont to rebuild it myself is i dont wont to have a lot of mistakes

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Johnathan, as long as they don't bore the cylinders on a 7.3, it should be OK. If they resleeved the block, that also is a good thing........ given it was done correctly.

Heath

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3200 is not going to be a quality rebuild. IMO

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3200 is not going to be a quality rebuild. IMO

i think that's the biggest difference between my beloved 6.9 and those darn unruly 7.3's. You can get a good rebuilt 6.9 for a reasonable cost because they don't have to bore/sleeve the cylinders.

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well they are rebored:puke: they are redone by marsheel how much should i expect to pay for a good long block:dunno

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Probably around $1000.00 more than you wanted to. It usually works out that way. Give Promar in NJ a call or Barnett Perforamnce a call.

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im going to the machine shop here to see how much they charge to rebuild it and sleeve it i trust them they do a lot of work for the army (fort cambell is 5 min from me) and ill google barnett to find a phone number:thumbsup:

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i found barnett they wont 4000 for a stock reman long block and 5150 for a 50 hp over stock umm witch one should i go for the other ones are out of my budget cause i plan one doing a hypermax turbo+exaust,moose pump,bbs injectors from mel:sly, beru gps,all sensers, block heater and cord, water pump, hoses,maybe (smf and a intercooler if money lets me lol)

NoDaK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im going to the machine shop here to see how much they charge to rebuild it and sleeve it i trust them they do a lot of work for the army (fort cambell is 5 min from me) and ill google barnett to find a phone number:thumbsup:

if they do work for the military, that means they are the lowest bidder... think about that...

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well they are rebored:puke: they are redone by marsheel how much should i expect to pay for a good long block:dunno

Sorry to hear that. I wouldn't suggest getting a 7.3IDI that's been bored over. It just increases the chance of cavitation.

Heath

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go buy a good used 6.9 and stud it if you plan to install a turbo. Times are tough so save where you can.