6.9 no fuel

Savage6.9

Reaction score
hate to make my first post a help me but thats how it is...

'86 F250 6.9 320K

gonna be long winded because I wanna give some history.

a while back while snowplowin she died,had to mat the accelerator to restart but she did and ran fine.after that she would hard start like not gettin fuel.even warm she would take extra pedal to start.glow plugs and solenoid were done not long ago and I know thats not the issue.
changed the filter and she started right up like she used to.bout 300k later she died mid haul with A gas job in tow.would fire but not catch.swapped the lift pump out on the side of the road thinkin that was the trouble,but it wasn't.she fires on 8 then dies.closed off the return and same thing.fuel at the bleeder on filter housing when runnin starter.haven't had a chance to get any further because she isn't at home and I ran out of light and time.

I'm thinkin fuel shut off solenoid
air lock
injector pump

I had a no start with her years ago when I first bought er due to a plugged filter.I was told there is a "thimble" screen where the fuel line goes into the injector pump that might be blocked,could this be so?

I use additive religiously and always treat her right,but am thinkin the pump timed out.would appreciate any thoughts before I start t-shootin for real.

TIA

ps-got a yard full of Fords and 1 Chev(wife's).Broke my heart pullin the old girl to the neighbors with the wifes 6.5TD.I may never live it down.-cuss

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can check the fuel shutoff solenoid by listening for a click when the current is applied and removed. If this is your original injection pump, I'd surely rebuild the whole fuel system.

Savage6.9

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Agnem, I was plannin an end to end this year,but wasn't plannin on startin right now-lol.
I'm pretty sure the pump timed out,but should go thru the whole thing,and will when I drag er home.
Guess that "thimble screen" I was told about doesn't exist huh...
lots of good info on your site,wish I had found it before I ran into trubby...

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a screen filter on the pump inlet, but I would be very surprised if it was actually the problem.

Savage6.9

Reaction score
I was startin to think paraphin buildup in the inlet screen because I ran summer fuel all winter.I was usin her strictly as a plow truck and hadn't fueled since summer.Ran pretty low on fuel before droppin the plow and goin to town for a fill,thats why I was originally lookin at the filter as the cause.I'm not convinced it's the pump tho,from what I know they rarely just drop dead all at once.

there would be enough heat in the valley to melt a paraphin buildup of the inlet screen would there not?
I'll know tomorrow what the probby is,got the day to t-shoot it,if the snow storm thats rollin in doesn't stop me.
TIA

Last edited: