6.9 knocking/ticking after oil change.

cody3700s

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've got a 85 250 with a 6.9. I did my regular 5000 mile oil and lube today. Due to noticeable oil consumption, I switched from rotella to delo 400 LT 15w-40. Yes, my CDR valve has been serviced. Truck ran great on the. Way to the parts store for supply's, God home and changed it all out. (Running a Napa oil filter). Started it up, took for test drive. Oil pressure was normal, truck ran great. Pulled into drive way and got outdo open garage door then noticed the ticking for the first time ever. Tick isn't horribly loud, but noticeable. Tick isn't constant and seems to have a rhythm. Tick tick tick-stop-tick tick tick-stop (ect). Loudest near oil pan. Truck has 271k. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks, Cody.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You are approaching the limit of the engine life but not a real concern yet. I need to ask what are the miles on the injectors and the injection pump? If they have 125,000 miles on them they usually are felt to be well worn out. Some get more but some get less miles. A bad injector with a weak spring can make a knock sound very much like a rod or main bearing sound.

cody3700s

Reaction score
40k on injectors and pump. No white or blue smoke ever. No problems in that department. This developed nearly instantly.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i only run delo 400,
what was in it before you put that rotella garbage in it? what weight did you use?

cody3700s

Reaction score
After letting the truck sit all afternoon to cool down. I fired it back up. The noise stopped until about 10 minutes of running, then started again once the motor came up to temp and oil pressure went up. Drove it to town and back and it ran great. Noise seems to go away at higher RPMs, or perhaps road nose and wind along with the sound of the motor drowns it out. I'm seriously thinking I have a hydraulic lifter partially hanging up. I think I'm going to drain a quart of oil out and put a quart of ATF in. I'll run that for a few days to see in it stops it. I just can't believe changing the oil triggerd this. Puzzling.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How is your "noticeable oil consumption" happening? Through the exhaust valve stems (common for 6.9, led to a change for the 7.3) or is it going past the rings? If coked oil is present under the valve covers, suspect bad valve seals and a *possible* sticky valve.

If it's going by the rings take a peek with the air filter off and see what's coming out of the CDR. A solid heavy stream of oil vapor fog or heavy puffs might indicate a problem.

I wouldn't suspect a lifter after 10 minutes... cold start to 10 minutes maybe, because it might be slightly clogged and slow to pump up. Lifters are inherently noisiest on a cold start... as the oil heats up it typically flows better.

Another contributing argument to the sticky valve would be the intermittent sound... they're designed to spin slightly as they are opened and closed. If it seals better on one part of the rotation escaping combustion gasses won't be so loud.

Can you elaborate on the oil pressure "going up"???

Last edited:

cody3700s

Reaction score
As the motor runs, the oil pressure increases. when the truck is first started it goes from noting till about half way up the gauge on the dash. Then once warmed up, as you drive the gauge indicated it get really high, reads in the three quarters range most of the the time. As I slow down or come to a light to stop, the guage will fall off to the halfway poin. As I start to accelerate again, it will slowly come back up to the three quarters range.

I've had my air breather of before. Like any other idi with nearly 300k on it, it has a little bit of oil in the intake, noting excessive. The CDR is brand new mind you. It doesn't puff or plume out of that while running. After running it all day, I've removed the oil fill cap and dipstick, I cannot locate any evidence of blowy. It only uses about two qrts of oil every 5000 miles. I didn't think that was too terrible. But noticable. But everyone said to get the rotella out of my motor because the idi's for some reason like to use more of it. Everyone recommend delo, I figured it couldn't hurt anything to try it. So I did.

The only noticable place my motor is leaking oil is from the rear of the passenger valve cover. It doesn't look excessive to me. More than likely is probably the main contributor to most of my oil loss. And yes, I not to check oil leves hot and that from the add to fill mark represents around two qrts.

I just don't understand how my truck can be running just fine at 9:00am (without a noise), then at 10:00am with a new lube job, I have a noise. Just puzzling.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
all im saying is that ive heard nothing good about rotella.
im only a hobby wrencher, but on these diesels, i only run Delo.
search the site for other people that have ran it.

cody3700s

Reaction score
I here everything you're telling me IDIoit. I also switched to delo and now I'm having this problem. I'm only running delo because many people on this forum recommended it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online