6.9 Head Gasket Time

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know they were both dynoed and compared, I have a copy of it somewhere. I just don't remember if they were both NA or what.

Yes, but was the comparison done with 2 cams in the same motor and same setup? Or at least maybe close to the same spec turbo motors? I believe our IDI dyno number vary wildly with different fuel systems on the trucks. I may touch base with Mel since he is local to me about getting in some upgraded fuel stuff. I think I may go with typ4 because it is a torque cam, I don't want a hot rod, I want a good work truck. I was happy with the power levels I had with just the ATS093 and unhooking the wastegate. After owning a 1000cc sport bike, I just have zero desire to ever try and make another truck fast. This IDI truck I have now came after having a Duramax with bolt ons. That truck was definitely quick

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you get the cam do a good check on all your clearances.
ya, I actually have this idea in my head to try and dig up a thicker head gasket to decrease a few points of compression. It may be an ill Idea, but being as I am already turbo, it may be reasonable to do, especially with the cam upgrade

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mel has a custom made head gasket you could try. I had a fair amount of piston to valve contact, that's why I mention it.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, but was the comparison done with 2 cams in the same motor and same setup? Or at least maybe close to the same spec turbo motors? I believe our IDI dyno number vary wildly with different fuel systems on the trucks. I may touch base with Mel since he is local to me about getting in some upgraded fuel stuff. I think I may go with typ4 because it is a torque cam, I don't want a hot rod, I want a good work truck. I was happy with the power levels I had with just the ATS093 and unhooking the wastegate. After owning a 1000cc sport bike, I just have zero desire to ever try and make another truck fast. This IDI truck I have now came after having a Duramax with bolt ons. That truck was definitely quick

Russ's cam is definitely great for torque and is what I would personally go with. I was just pointing out that his cam has a torque curve more so low end and r&d's is more in the higher rpms. And ya, I do believe they were separate engines with differences in fuel delivery. I would be interested in seeing the results when done on the same exact engine like you said. Can't go wrong with parts from Russ. :Thumbs Up

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh hey, no mufflers, I did find a few twin I beam lift components. You can buy parts off F150 lifts to make a lift for a 250. I believe they sell them for 250 2WD also.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I briefly looked at some of those when I was doing my front end. I am not sure of the quality of them but im sure they are decent. I wanted something different and what I did works great and drives just like a stock truck.

I just didn't want you to go through the alignment problems I did with just throwing blocks in there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online