6.9 Head Gasket Time

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I finally have a garage.

My cylinder head on the drivers side sprung an external leak from the head gasket.

This is what is going to happen to my truck.

Remove majority of front end to ease my access
Repair or replace steering shaft
Fresh front suspension (2wd truck
Head studs
Flux and check deck on stock heads
cam (maybe typ4 we shall see)

The maybes.

Install my 40 gal rear tank
Lifting the 2wd suspension, with some combo of super duty 2wd front springs, dayco spacer
Gauges, most of them are inop in the truck, so get them all spruced up
Fenders
Bed wheel well externals
Inter-cooler
Turbo upgrade to the ATS 093
E4od, I have a spare one that needs a converter sitting around
Rubber floor

So there we have it. I have come into managing an equipment shop, so I know longer physically wrench for a living, I am hoping this will keep me focused and motivated.

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds fun! Having a garage makes "all the difference". The first time I replaced head gaskets on one of these trucks was in apartment parking lot ... complete nightmare.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't mind working outside, I was a road man at the one truck shop I worked. I want to pull the tags off while I do it, otherwise, she would have been torn apart. It will be nice to stay out of the elements though.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you get to the front lift, the dayco spacers work but everything else will have to be dropped to get proper alignment. I used them in my truck for a while and it made the geometry off on the caster/camber function.

I did a full 2'' lift with the twin I beam with a lot of custom work. I have a thread on it somewhere in the archives.

the funny part is when I brought my truck back to the alignment shop, the owner (who I know well) almost wouldn't do the job because of the way it was the last time. well I told him he wont have any problems this time, and sure enough he got it dam near perfect.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you get to the front lift, the dayco spacers work but everything else will have to be dropped to get proper alignment. I used them in my truck for a while and it made the geometry off on the caster/camber function.

I did a full 2'' lift with the twin I beam with a lot of custom work. I have a thread on it somewhere in the archives.

the funny part is when I brought my truck back to the alignment shop, the owner (who I know well) almost wouldn't do the job because of the way it was the last time. well I told him he wont have any problems this time, and sure enough he got it dam near perfect.

Do you have a link or any information you can send me on the lift parts you used? I can't seem to find anything on this.

I don't think 2" would put the truck to terribly out of whack, but I do know all the angles would be a little bit funkier because of it. Nothing a slick alignment guy couldn't handle.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Il try to find a link with all the info. I made most all the parts. You would be surprised how much 2" spacers can wack out a twin I beam.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I've read Russ's cam is best suited for NA applications and R&D's cam is better for turboed.

@typ4 Is this correct? Also could you pm me a price?:D

I'm about to be doing the same to mine, as soon as this damn tattoo heals. I so wish I had a shop to do it in. I'm so tired of rolling around in mud puddles and gravel lol. The engine hoist is not fun to move around in gravel.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I had to guess, I would guess no one has actually compared the two cams head to head. For example, trying both in an NA motor, get dyno numbers for both cams in the same motor. Find a turbo motor, and repeat the same process.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know they were both dynoed and compared, I have a copy of it somewhere. I just don't remember if they were both NA or what.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I've read Russ's cam is best suited for NA applications

It's a great cam for those of us using our trucks on the street,hauling and towing.Turbo or n/a.It puts the grunt where you use it in the real world.I wouldn't put an engine in a truck without one if I ever had to remove one for anything.