6.9 EGT with Hypermax Pulse Turbo

Mikey89014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm wondering would be the nominal boost and EGT measurements for a daily driven 6.9 IDI turbo engine? I've seen a lot of IDI's that have cracked pistons and heads from the excess heat concentrated into a smaller area of the piston. I do not have coated pistons, just standard .030 over Mahle pistons. Thanks

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well you will be more **** to cavitation because of being bored so far. Watch the sla level in the coolant. But as for the egt's you can run around 400-600 around town a d freeway which should max on a hill at 1100 depending on your driving style load just let off a lil. But running 400-600 is pump turned up some a boosting 6-10 pounds.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Well you will be more **** to cavitation because of being bored so far. Watch the sla level in the coolant. But as for the egt's you can run around 400-600 around town a d freeway which should max on a hill at 1100 depending on your driving style load just let off a lil. But running 400-600 is pump turned up some a boosting 6-10 pounds.

cavitation on a .030 over 6.9?

to be on the safe side, I would say 10psi max, and 1000 max sustained 1200 for very short times

Mikey89014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cavitation on a .030 over 6.9?

to be on the safe side, I would say 10psi max, and 1000 max sustained 1200 for very short times

OK ,tHANKS guys. In theory, if you have a turbo, but the fuel injection pump is set to the factory NA specs, the engine should run the same EGT as it would without the turbo, correct?

Mikey89014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
THANKS, that's what i meant, same or cooler with the same fuel and turbo added.

Last edited:

Black dawg

Reaction score
How much boost can i expect with the Hypermax kit , using the stock pump settings?

I would expect about 3-4 pounds maybe. I dont have the self control to leave one at stock NA settings with a turbo. I usually go up a couple flats, and then turn it up all the way.

Mikey89014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, If everything is sealed, etc., the engine will probably make more power because of the turbo, and not necessarily have boost at a certain power increase, correct? All else being equal

Black dawg

Reaction score
So, If everything is sealed, etc., the engine will probably make more power because of the turbo, and not necessarily have boost at a certain power increase, correct? All else being equal

The trucks that I have turbod at this elevation (3500) had a power increase, and 3psi and 700deg max with stock NA settings

Mikey89014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
great'! So it's most likely not going to be ******* the engine by just adding a turbo to a NA engine with stock pump settings?

diesellawnman

Reaction score
Alright guys, I don't know if any of you know about my truck or not but it is the one Ronnie Butt's diesel dog catcher on the boards has been working on and tweaking for a couple years now. Here's my numbers and you guys might want to sit down for this. Last year before I put head studs in I would hit 25lbs of boost no problem, crazy right! Here's what's done to it; banks sidewinder, moose pump, new stock injectors, Holley red fuel pump, 3" downpipe to 4" to a 8" tip (now its 3"-4"-5" elbow to a 10" stack!) This year after putting head studs in it I hit 18lbs of boost and the thing just takes off after getting it re timmed a couple weeks ago Ronnie and I were drivin the truck back out to my house I was in my 06 F-250 king ranch with a 6 leaker in it-it has a air intake and 4" turbo back exhaust and Ronnie was in my idi that I call "Babe". I was following behind him and he started to get on it and of course I was following not far behind until he put her to the floor board here's the crazy thing my 6.0 could not keep up with my idi. Ronnie and I were beside ourselves. I am going to Schied diesel extravaganza in 2 weeks and I am going to put it on the rollers to see what she does. We are thinking that it is in the 220-250hp range. I will post the sheet as soon as I get it.

diesellawnman

Reaction score
Oh yes I forgot to also add that I can hit 1200 degrees on the pyro in a matter of seconds. I've hit 1400 before but only held it their for a second then backed off. Next step is a intercooler and **** injection.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin