6.9/7.3 Freak?

nlewman

Reaction score
Hello! First post. Been a lurker for a few years, but not in the IDI section of things.

Bit of a backstory here. Earlier today I bought a 1991 f350 eclbd - with something of a confusing past. I really just bought it for the back bumper and the dually fenders, so if this motor doesnt work out it's alright.

After talking to the guy that had it, he said they had originally bought the truck in 1999 and it had no motor. They added a 7.3 IDI to it, and used it for a number of years, until it broke down and sat. The engine was "rebuilt" and then sat for a few more years. Then this guy started driving it around as a welding truck, said it ran great and took him about 40 thousand miles. Then, it started overheating. He had some hole in the wall mechanic work on it, he just replaced the thermostat. Then, a new problem arose. It would start loosing coolant. Coolant in the tailpipe, little in the oil. I figured it was either head gasket or cavitation, most likely the latter. However, as I pressed him for more details, he claimed that the motor rebuild was a 6.9 block they had put 7.3 heads on. I've searched and searched on google, and found one person who claimed that they did this, and a hundred others that said it couldnt be done. If it is in fact a 6.9 block, that would rule cavitation out, correct? I havent done any of the tests, I want to know what I am dealing with before I start. So anyway, to the gist of my post here. How would I go about determining if it is, in fact, a 6.9 block with 7.3 heads? If I can fix this truck up rather cheaply, that would be a much better alternative to idling my 97 7.3 all day at the ranch. Thanks, and sorry for the long winded post!

To add to this, the starter,or solenoid is out in some capacity. Try to start and it just clicks, all power goes out. Turn off and back on, power comes back.

Last edited:

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Did you try starting in neutral? My nss is out and acts like that when you try to start it in park. Actually I don’t think it even close clicks, it just acts like it loses power. Btw if that is out, it also takes out the backup lights.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
on the top of the block, drivers side, behind the IP gear cover, is the stock engine code.
it will say 6.9 or 7.3

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What idioit said. With the starting issues always start by cleaning your battery terminals, then start diagnosing.

nlewman

Reaction score
on the top of the block, drivers side, behind the IP gear cover, is the stock engine code.
it will say 6.9 or 7.3
I have been looking behind the IP gear cover, can't find anything on the block. Do I need to remove anything to get to it?

Batteries are charging now

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where are you located in Texas? I am just north of San Antonio if you need any help. You shouldnt need to move anything just scrape off a layer of crud thats sure to be there.

nlewman

Reaction score
Where are you located in Texas? I am just north of San Antonio if you need any help. You shouldnt need to move anything just scrape off a layer of crud thats sure to be there.
I'm in the Brenham, college station area

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah okay, well youve got a 6.9 then. Like said before try and see if a 1/2" or 7/16" socket fits on the head bolts. If you can find a casting number on the heads then that will give you a sure answer.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah okay, well youve got a 6.9 then. Like said before try and see if a 1/2" or 7/16" socket fits on the head bolts. If you can find a casting number on the heads then that will give you a sure answer.
odds are that if they are 7.3 heads, 6.9 bolts with sleeves were used.
scene drilling and tapping to larger bolts is next to impossible in the 6.9 block.
the forsure way to tell is to pull the intake off. behind the gasket are water ports. if they are a rough casting hole, they are 6.9 heads.
if they are expansion plugs, they are 7.3 heads

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very true although the drilling isn’t the hard part, I’ve seen them drilled out by hand but as far as how straight they would be ehhhh

That’s why for a turbo build I stay away from 6.9s

nlewman

Reaction score
I really just wanted to know if it was a 6.9 block so I knew if cavitation was a possibility.

I tried to put a little water in the radiator, but as soon as I did it all came out, looked like somewhere in the middle of the motor. Truck was parked in mud, so I didn't crawl under to see where it was coming from. I'll try to hunt it done tomorrow. Water flowed out pretty quickly.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I wouldn't say that cavitation isn't a possibility with a 6.9 block, it's just a lot smaller chance. It really doesn't happen very often. Never happens? You really can't say that with any certainty. It's just not too likely. You should be fairly safe. If the water's leaking out from the passenger's side, check the block heater. Also check above and behind the block heater to see if it has an external crack. The early 6.9's had this issue. Not all of them cracked, but a lot of them did.