6.4L powerStroke

carnophage

Reaction score
i am new in the world of Diesel. but i was wanting a new 08 f250, but i have been hearing bad things about the fuel milage in the new 6.4L. is that true? if so, are there any modifications that can be added that will improve the milage? Thanks

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yes, the new 6.4's get pretty bad fuel milage. I just took a trip in my dads rig, an 08 F350 CC SRW 6.4/auto 4x4 lariat, I weighed it with a quarter tank and it was 9050pounds with me and my dad in it :eek: . Anyways we were down in the valley (flat ground), and at 60mph, the truck does a good 17.5mpg (per the computer), 55mph, and its closer to 18.5mpg, 65mph is like 16mpg. It has 3.73 gears. The truck also has just a little over 5K miles on it. If you live in an area were people drive 75-80mph, then expect bad fuel milage. They will get a little better once there broken in.

To improve fuel milage, the best thing you can do is take off the dpf (diesel particulate filter, the big muffler looking thing under the truck if you look at the exhaust of one), and get a performance tuner than delets the regen (regens basically cook out all the trapped soot in the dpf, and use a lot of fuel while in regen). I've heard people doing this, and getting there trucks into the high teens low 20's for fuel milage. Other than that, an intake will help. Also you can also add a seperate overdrive, but those are a couple grand. Also if you do do take off the dpf, and add a tune, it will void the warrenty, so be prepared for that.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
You will void your warranty if you remove a DPF and you can also be fined bigtime if caught...It sucks but it's the way of the future, anything with a DPF is getting worse fuel mileage, regardless of the engine manufacturer...Typically I'm hearing .5mpg less from big rigs over the 06 engines without DPF's.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Woot, spartan is working on there 250 drag tune, and there test truck put down 567hp to the rear wheels. That was stock everything except DPF/DOC delete, and intake. Crazy power for that little moddage. I cant believe the tranny has held up to that abuse, Allison 1000's, hah, I laugh in there general direction LOL (just joking, I like Allisons better, they lock up sooner stock)

hpprose

Reaction score
The new trucks are tricky. The interior's are handle are great, but the powertrain is questional.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The new trucks are tricky. The interior's are handle are great, but the powertrain is questional.

More plastic, more stuff to break, more money and less mileage :dunno .

My buddies 08 F350 gets 2-4 mpg worse than the numbers posted above :eek: .

It's not questionable, at my place it's official :yell: :

New trucks suck.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
It's the DPF causing restriction all the time and then using more fuel to clean itself out.....Cleaner exhaust....sure it is....cookoo :dunno

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every brand is doing worse on fuel with the new EPA mandated crap on them. Ford's 6.4 is among the worst of the 3 among the RV transporters I've talked to.

Gonna have to buy a gasser next when I wear out this one and put my own diesel in it, spec it the way I want not what the gooberment wants.:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morerunner

Members online