6.2l or 6.5l in a sub

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I have a friend with a suburban I was talking to and He asked Me how to get more pep and power out of His suburban :dunno I have no experience with gas engines except for the regular maintenance but I told Him that GM makes the engines and trannys in such a way that One can drop a GM diesel engine in that suburban (to give both more power and better fuel mileage) and it should bolt on to the cross member and tranny with no problems. Now I said this not bc I know it but I read Calvin saying once that they do this sort of thing with their engines so You can put pretty much any GM tranny behind their engines, is this right?

Thank You.

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the early 6.5 was nothing but a gas block converted to diesel, so i dont see why it wouldnt work. Just what ive heard, Im no expert.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
The 6.2/6.5 share the same bellhousing pattern and motor mounts as a small block Chevy. Bolts right in. The 6.2/6.5 diesels that Detroit Diesel designed are specific and do not share architecture with the gassers. The early 5.7 Olds diesel that was used in the pickups was based on the gasser 350 Olds.

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
Yep, they will bolt in, but not be a power gain at all. The turbo 6.5 can match a big block in power, but not a whole lot past it without major work.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's a bolt-in where a gasser once was.
6.2/6.5 are not a converted gassser
the power level sucks.
the fuel economy otoh, is wickedly good.
hope this helps.:D

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Thank You guys, it is a 96 suburban I think. I didn't know about the power gains but I figured it would have great mpg gains, right. Anyone ever done it? if it is so straight forward how do I get the pcm to think it is still a gasser or do I need the pcm from a diesel sub?

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Get all the parts that go with the diesel and bolt them in straight across, even the electronics if there is a difference. The early 6.5s (93-94) were still mechanical, and if worst came to worst you can take the DS4 pump off the turbo motor and change it to a DB2 or DB4.