6.2 govenor spring

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't remember who now, but In the oild debate thread I noticed someone had a 6.2 govenor spring mod in their sig.

can someone explain this one to me I haven't heard of it:dunno

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
If mine was 3800 like my dads i would be happy you would be suprised at how much that extra rpm helps, mine is only 3300 way too low for meLOL

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can these engines handle that? I never let mine rev to 3 grand bc I worry about blowing a head gasket or something.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
They are governed from the factory for the pickups at 3800 rpms. MD's are like 2700-3000 rpms. The bottom end stock is ok to about 4300 rpms. Cam hits the wall after 2900-3300 rpms, so spinning it faster doesn't help much.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They're definitely OK at full governed RPM without scattering parts unless something was broken already. Going beyond that is at your own risk. The peak HP on the engine dyno is not until around 3300 RPM on these things, but as Heath pointed out that's on an engine only dyno not a chassis dyno. The worst things about above 3000 RPM is the truck gets very loud and you burn a lot more fuel than you really need to.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
the factory balance job is good for at least 4000 they might be better than that but i have herd valve springs float at 4200

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
The way IH engineered these engines, or over-engineered the engine, the blocks are fairly stout. These and most diesels will run on the govenor all the time and not hurt them. I know that when Trav lost 5th gear in the goat truck, to keep up on the Interstate he was on the gov in 4th, and he had a higher spring kit.... So I would not worry about hitting the 3k mark...... it is just loud and inefficient..... I know the my 6.0 doesn't max out till 3500~ and redline on the tach is 4k.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've done it too, several hauls from Columbus OH to Detroit MI, making a 4 hour drive in 2.5 hours pulling a 30ft enclosed car hauler... good thing I was not the one paying for the fuel ;)