5th wheel style tailgate owners??

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
I bought a used vented 5th wheel style tail gate at a local swap meet. Dont know much about it, it doesnt have a manufacturers tag on it. Picked it up cheap.

The tail gate fits in the spot, but secureing it is the issue. It has 2 pull pins one on each side, but I cant figure out how they are supposed to secure the gate, I can make brackets if need be, but I was hoping to see a set from someone on the forum here.

I tried to look them up on the internet but all I can find is the style with the handle in the middle of it.

Any body on here have the style with 2 pins tail gate?

I will try to post pics tomorrow

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the two pin 5th wheel tailgate. I unbolted the factory latches for the original tailgate on the bed, and bolted on a piece of L channel on each side bent exactly to fit Pins in place and hold the gate up. It works for me, but is pretty crude.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay on the pics but here is what I have.
You must be registered for see images
You must be registered for see images

Thanks for the tip, I don't need pretty, need functional

My guess is the pin below the latch is for clipping the tailgate cable on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that one looks like it either used the factory brackets (relocated) or its own??? ever try to set a coffee cup or beer on one?

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
No I can't say I have, but I usually don't let a beer get too far from my hand when I'm drinking one lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Man that looks just like my gate. I'll see how mine latches to the bed rails and snap a pic.

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah your pins are shaped like a door latch, so you can close the gate with one hand. My pins are simply round rods protruding from each end. So I have to move both levers on the gate to close and latch it.

Looks like you got some customizin to do.

And yes, the pin below the latch is for the cables to hold the gate open.

Also, that's a louvered gate, they are supposed to improve mpg when pulling fifth wheels, as the downward fins help to flow air under the trailer instead of into it. Nice!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk