$5000.00 IDI build

OldIron82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all. OK, my buddies move from the area has unfortunately expedited the need to clean up around his house and that includes his first gen Cummins and getrag trans that was sitting in the barn. So much for getting it for free, I gave a grand for it. ( in reference to the thread title please bear with me this is going somewhere ) It has about 60,000 on it and all the components bolted on the front yet. AC, power steering, alt, etc. I found a temporary home for its heavy existence in the corner of the shop for the time being. Oh my lord how I wish is was a DT360 :D I always wanted to do a 78/79 Bronco Cummins as a daily driver,c6 gear vender one ton axles with a all stock first gen but that is lower than whale poop on the totem pole at the time.

Now, come back to my 89F350 dump. NA 7.3IDI, ZF5, borg warner case, kingpin d60 front, Sterling rear 10.25/10.50<---???. No one around me understands my love affair for the IDI's and right away it's "Oohhhhhh Cummins swap" ..........NO . Well, considering its a dump and its going to be hauling and occasionally pulling for my business I have to consider it unfortunately but only >"by the numbers"< I have a grand into the engine, and the conversion kit after tax is going to be about $3600.00. Until everything is all said and done including drive shafts, miscellaneous stuff like paint, welding supplies, liquid patience ;Sweet I figure about five grand for the swap. Maybe a few hundred less if I sell the Getrag trans. So here is the question:

How mean of an IDI can I build for five grand? Of course I would sell the Cummins to recoup that grand. I would hold out until I find a late 6.9 block with the bolt in cooling jets and go from there. Would that kind of a budget yield me at least 300 crank hp? I'd really like to stick with the IDI because for one I love the engine and for two the truck is so original and clean I would hate to go hacking it ( I guess that eliminates the DT360 ). The wiring harness' under the hood have the Ford P/N stickers on them and again like I said its really clean and a apples to apples engine swap IDI to IDI would make me feel a lot better than the apples to oranges IDI to Cummins.

Thanks for reading everyone. I look forward to replies.

OI82

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
I would keep the IDI $5.000 should get you a mid level build
If you do decide to do the Cummins swap get a nv4500 also back when I had the the time but no money I was looking at doing the swap into the Chevy in sig at first I was looking at the kits but decided it would be cheaper to build my own parts.

stuborn nut

Reaction score
Last summer I rebuilt a 6.9l and I came in somewhere at $5900. That was balanced with a luk smf and clutch, arp studs, Type4 cam, moose JR., Moose Misters. A killer deal on a Ih master kit, and all the little parts, paints, and so on. Oh and a bunch of valve guides and a hand full of used valves.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
in my build that im currently working on, i kinda went overboard.

everythings been rebuilt minus the rotating assembly, and to be honest i kind of ran out of money....

but here is a price break down for you.
i am using a 100k 7.3 IDI N/A short block

heads have been gone through,
inconel valves, new guides, and a valve job = 900
aftermarket roller rockers = 900
rebuilt 093 ATS w/ WW2 and updated castings = 1100
typ4 cam, gaskets, lifters, and ARP head studs = 1000
Bull moose IP and mister injectors = 1400
paint, sealant, return lines, and turbo coatings = 400

i still need pushrods, but i cannot determine this until i get it back together....

been busy on other projects, and havnt gotten to the build yet.

hopefully it will be done by the end of the month.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
400 whp, 800 wtrq. +

biggest pump you can get from either conestoga or R&D
cam
s400 style turbo
studs

Thats about 3.5k there.

OldIron82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Waystro: For my own knowledge, why a NV4500? Is it because it's iron instead of the aluminum ZF5?

@stuborn nut: Awesome sounding build. Did you happen to Dyno that beast?

@IDIoit: Also a nasty sounding build. Do you feel the reward is not the financial investment?

I wish I was 23 as opposed to 33 because back then money was a moot point and I'd have no problem just throwing it at a build and not giving a hoot. Now I'm asking is it worth it before I get involved in any project. If you gentleman's engines are at least capable of 250 rear wheel horse that would be a huge win in my book and I would love to go for it.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
I don't like the ZF5 there noisy(clutch) most I've been in have had tons of rollover noise etc
The Gertrag I have a friend that towing around 12k split his case 2 times also has slot of noise
The Nv4500 is the best all around for me all the cummins trucks in the fleet are running them with no problems. Close to 500k with just a clutch replacement.
I also like the T19 but no overdrive.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i dont know what HP she will build,
my main goal was longevity,
i want to keep my valve guides primo, thats why i went with roller rockers.

i may be dialing the IP back with a Jr Moose.
ive already killed 1 engine due to EGT's i dont wanna go that route again.
and the couple of hundred bucks for the WW2, it was a no brainer.

the truck could hang with a stock PSD, with a ZF5 and 3.55's
but im not really looking for HP, just a truck that will make it a couple of hundred thousand miles before any major work.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score

There is this one too. ITs great that he has actual dyno numbers instead of just estimating possible gains.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1342155-some-dyno-numbers-and-turbo-info.html

Depending on if you are doing a rebuild or not. If the engine is in good running order and up to date on maintenance $5k could give you a lot of hp/tq.