5 speed acting strange

MattOzark

Reaction score
please help!! 5 speed acting strange

alright, when i'm driving down the road and let off the gas there is this strange jerking and kind of a ratcheting. Also when i down shift and let off the clutch it makes a sound like the gears are not engaged and just grinding against each other but when i push in the clutch and check it is fully engaged. I pulled this tranny out of a 88 and the motor is from a super duty that still had the clutch assy still on it. No i didnt replace it at the time of the swap i was broke. thanks for any help

94 turbo diesel 5 speed crew cab 4X4

Last edited:

rjglenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did this just start? If so it sounds more like a spun oil pump in the transfer case. When the arm that holds the oil pump in place on the shaft wears through the groove in the case that holds it in place the arm will swing around, break the shift fork, rip the pickup tube out of the oil pump and then get caught up in the planetary gear. When you let off on the throttle, the shaft will disengage from the gears and it makes a grinding noise. When you accelerate it will reengage with a clunk. Soon reverse stops working and eventually you can only move in low range. Used transfer cases are fairly cheap at LKQ and come with a 6 month warranty - although you may go through a couple until you get to one that lasts.

After it happened to me the first time my internet research revealed that it is a common problem with the Borg Warner transfer case.

MattOzark

Reaction score
i forgot to mention, this happens at random times. rjglenn i have had that very thing happen in my bronco except there was no noise it just stopped and would only move in low.. i had to drive 100 miles to get home at 20 mph. THAT WAS FUN....

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about the DMF possibly having a problem? He said it was used and he didn't do anything with it.

You can take the inspection cover off and see how much play you have in the flywheel.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My T-case did the same thing. It wasn't a spinning pump, but, the input shaft wasn't seating fulling in the planetary gears. It would slip off the planetary randomly under acceleration and make a terrible grinding sound. It was just a matter of time before it completely died, so I replaced it.

Either way, the drive train needs some attention.

Any way you could try a different transfer case (if you have a parts rig or someone you know has one you can try). If the problem goes away with a different transfer case, you need a rebuild or a new one. If the problem is the same with a different t-case, it's the ZF5 speed.

Heath

MattOzark

Reaction score
i have wondered about the DFM. i'm not sure how to check the play and how can i be sure it is a DM and it wasn't replaced at some point. i have another tranfercase at my brothers i will be picking up this weekend and see if that doesn't fix it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online